I’d found some inspirational designs on pinterest that I liked over the past year or so and knew I wanted to make a similar design for something. Eventually I came up with a reasonable excuse, the door to my computer room keeps falling closed, and got to work on it. I roughed out a few sketches and then got started in Illustrator building the basic shapes. The pathfinder “unite” tool was heavily used as I took tentacle shapes and added them with a bunch of ovals to give them suckers.
I decided to use 1/8" plywood for this project.
My first version had enough space between planes to give it a stable base, but it turned out that I didn’t need them that far apart.
I made a couple of other variants with the body planes close together that worked well. I’m still a bit torn between my last two (the ones in the front) and can’t decide which I like better.
They’re well suited to battling lego mini figures
but luckily, they also fulfill my original reason for making them. Holding my door open so I can hear when I’m being called from elsewhere in the house