I have a file with a lot of text for a recipe on a cutting board that won’t cut every time. It has worked twice, but every other time I have to break it up into sections to get it to go. I also get two errors, one is there are a lot of colors or something like that, and the other just says unexpected error, with no further details. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work better? Attached, I have the multi-color file and a single color SVG files. If someone has an idea I can share the illustrator files, but they were too big to share together.
You have a few options on how, but ultimately what will likely help is reducing the number of colors. You can do that in your image editing app by, perhaps, first reducing the noise, and then reduce the number of colors. You want to find a setting that will reduce it to as few colors as possible while not making your text look jagged. Or, you can use your vector editing app and try tracing what you have. Often there are settings that will smooth out your tracing so there’re no jaggies and you’ll get everything nice and clean.
Just some food for thought. Perhaps others have better/other ideas.
What are you wanting to do with this? Are you converting it to an engrave? Running a score? Do you want the outline of the letters or them filled in?
First thing I noticed is that it has over a 1/4 million points.
Second, it’s hard to say the length of time this is going to take for an engrave; it’s about 10x10", so depending on what you’re chosen for an LPI, you could be exceeding the onboard storage/job length (3.5 hours or so).
I would switch it to a fill, rasterize at 600 DPI and engrave there, probably around 225LPI, and it should go just fine, every time.
The whole thing is engrave. I’ve been able to get this to print 2 times as a single file. It takes about 2.5 hours to print. The other times I’ve had to break it up into sections, that’s why there is a multi-color file.
I’m going to change the font to a smoother font, if that doesn’t work I’ll do the raster version.
I used Object>Path>Simplify set to 100% Curve Precision on the bulk of the text to get the node count way down, and switched the stroke to fill. I also expanded the decorative shapes, and deleted all the hidden layers save for the cutting-board shape(in case you are using that for alignment).
Down from 253,584 nodes to 28,206. Loads fine for me in the GFUI. I would probably run this at 270 lpi (i.e: SD Engrave on med maple ply) , which should take about an hour.