Bits fallen through honeycomb causing small fire and scortching

Hey All,

This might be hard to describe but I’ve been doing a project that involves engraving, airbrushing the engravings then cutting out the shapes.

The problem I ran into is that from previous cuts, small amounts of wood, tiny cutouts as well as essentially dust/ash has collected in the pieces of the honeycomb of the crumb tray that has the support cross sections holding it up, the part where they don’t just fall through.

This area then creates a small fire that comes up through the cut and scorches the top, discoloring it.

Is there a good way to clean these sections out?

You can try:
Strong vacuum for the ash.
Forceps or other extremely skinny tweezers for loose bits.
Gorilla tape affixed to a thin skewer with the sticky side out.

I use one of these though and it works pretty well for unsticking little bits that have gotten jammed in:

5 Likes

I think my dentist has one of those exclusively for me… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pull the tray out and flip it upside down. Whack the back of it to knock them loose.

Note that the back of the tray, the side opposite the handle, has an open slot to let all the small debris fall out when you clean the machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. I think the issue is that I haven’t been vacuuming out well enough and it’s become, for lack of a better term, gunk. I’ll try flipping over the crumb tray and keeping it clean.

1 Like

You can get the same tool @Jules listed at Harbor Freight in a set of 4 or 5. They should be with automotive tools I think. I call them automotive picks. Straight, 45*, 90*, and offset angles.

3 Likes

an air compressor might work to blow the bits out. I haven’t gotten to use mine enough yet. so I haven’t had that problem :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I’ve moved this thread to the Everything Else so the discussion can continue there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.