Bitten by the Scanning/Centering bug

Yet another one…went to do a project today, found my Glowforge in “scanning/centering” lockup, and nothing I seem to be able to do (following all recommendations and guidelines) makes a difference.

sigh

Help? Please? What is going on, Glowforge?

Well, I am sure they will get back to you, but things break and after a couple of years of use it is understandable. I do wish the black cables were stocked in the store, however.

So you’ve followed the steps in the troubleshooting guide specific to this issue?

Yup. Every guide on the forums.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge, and it appears your lid camera is experiencing trouble taking images of the inside of your bed.

The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.

2. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

3. Close the lid.

4. Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

How about the one on the official support site? :wink:

1 Like

All cables appear to be in good shape. No clips were loose, nothing out of the ordinary physically. Powered it back up…same issue.

A set of pictures? I had the white cable look good but had only a slight problem, it was however enough, If you set pictures by Email that will let them look, if not then you could post them here,

I’ll get some pics today and post.

Here are pics of all the connections…all appear to be solid/straight/undamaged to me.

After taking these pics, I restarted the glowforge again and…it mysteriously started centering again. I suppose maybe there’s some short somewhere that was tweaked by my poking at the connections with my fingers to make sure that the clips were down?

I suppose my goal now is to just not power the thing down.

And, after one successful round of lasering…my glowforge is now AGAIN stuck on “scanning” forever.

So it prob IS a cable issue that resolved when I wiggled something, but is unstable.

Thoughts? Support?

They will likely need to send you a replacement cable. As it’s the weekend, it might be tomorrow before you hear from them, typically by email for this.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to review these connections, and for sending over the images of the cable. I’ve reviewed the log files extracted from your Glowforge after you re-seated the cable.

Since everything appears to be connected properly, we’ll need to have the black lid cable on your Glowforge replaced. I’ve reached out directly via email on the next steps, and I’ll close this thread.