Black Widow is Living in My Glowforge.... HELP!

Vacuuming with nylon hose over the tube end will help get it out without killing it, if that is what you want. And a paper towel cardboard tube can be taped to the vacuum tube and mushed to get into tight spaces. Move it with a feather? We just have lots of brown widows that aren’t very aggressive, and since they stay in one place, I tend to leave’em be. Granted, I’ve got no kids or elders to worry about accidently grabbing one.

3 Likes

Try spraying an electronics duster in there, see if it will coax her out with cold air. Alternatively, blast her with a heat gun. Hot air can agitate many spiders and they’ll tend to move away from the source. Of course I live in the desert and it doesnt seem to stop Widows from nesting inside my screen door or computer cases. I’ve learned to live with them, they keep crickets at bay. :smiley: If you see an egg sac however, you want to get rid of that ASAP.

Oils can attack plastics and particularly the mints, so be careful with that tactic.

7 Likes

Zevo leaves an oil like residue and seems wet enough to conduct electricity.
The can I tried was used twice (had to clean up both spots which thankfully were not fabric), and then no Psst when sprayed.
So a full can of useless oil unless I want to puncture it and pore it onto an anthill.

1 Like

I have looked for the kind of places that the critters hide, and sprayed there (under refrigerator or stove. behind can storage etc) It is not a surprise that there is a film, as that is how it continues to work.

I would expect also that any Glowforge used for a while will have great gobs of gunk everywhere inside though the spider appears to be hiding where the gunk is least,

I would not expect the spray to conduct easier than gunk, And I think perhaps engraving a piece of cedar without any fans on might be an even easier way to smoke her out. However sprayed lightly on the inner wall would do the job,

It seems like Antman could help.

5 Likes

Immediately imagined the spider being blown straight into the person’s face resulting in a subsequent spider-on-my-face dance and burning the house to the ground to make sure it never happens again.

7 Likes

Either way, it won’t be in the GF…

7 Likes

It’s been several days… I think we have to assume the spider won.

5 Likes

Depends on the day :wink: Just kidding!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I hope you can find a way to use it or return it!

It hasn’t won yet but I just moved out of state so I have had other priorities. I am leaving my hose open hoping it will move anywhere but the Glowforge since I have no ability to get to it with a vacuum/shopvac and it doesn’t seem to care about peppermint oil, spray air or air compressor air.

1 Like

That’s a bummer. Only thing I can think of would be leaving some cedar sitting inside for a while (preferably rough cut, not sanded). I once came out to my garage a couple days after buying a cedar trellis and discovered a dead black widow next to it before I had a chance to set it up outside. Looked closer at the trellis, and saw the start of a widow web.
Granted this is entirely anecdotal, and not scientific in any way, but might help.

1 Like

Like in the bed or dining area, or maybe invites all its fiends in for a party?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.