Boeing 747 3D Engrave

2nd test and really happy how it came out. First one came out decent but I needed to touch it up more to get it right and then put masking tape to protect it from the burns.

Done on 1/8" Baltic Birch

Fun fact: This is the last Qantas 747 being flown for retirement. Picture taken by a buddy of mine.

Instagram: @dsyn_studios

33 Likes

This is great, I have a buddy that is a pilot. He seems to have everything. I bet he does not have something like this. Could be a great Christmas gift. Thanks for the idea.

2 Likes

This was a small test and I plan on doing a larger version with all the details about the last flight.

3 Likes

Photo engraves are much better when using ā€œconvert to dotsā€. You could use a mix of vary power for the outline/background, and dots for the detail on the aircraft to preserve the detail and shading.

5 Likes

This i havenā€™t figured out yet. Do I need to set it up in the software or will the GUI help with that?

This is subjective, I do almost all my engraves in vary power or 3D mode. It really comes down to personal opinion.

The easiest way to test this sort of thing is to crop a small chunk of the photo and do a series of tests, that way you donā€™t spend all that time engraving the whole thing for each test.

3 Likes

AWESOME! Gives me chills in a good way; Iā€™m a retired pilot myself.

2 Likes

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that youā€™ll wait for me
Hold me like youā€™ll never let me go
ā€˜Cause Iā€™m leavinā€™ on a jet plane
Donā€™t know when Iā€™ll be back again.

Incredible. How long did it take to engrave?

3 Likes

Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh, and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God, it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

• ā€œDanielā€, by Elton John
4 Likes

GREAT SONG!! I know these words I have his greatest hits and I am always listening to it.

2 Likes

I saw the title on this thread and started wondering how you fit an actual 747 into the Pro pass through slotā€¦

4 Likes

If you test and find you prefer the results of a dots vs. vary power engrave, you would need to split the design into the appropriate sections for each type of engrave, overlaid in your source file, and run the two engraves sequentially.

2 Likes