Bone!

“Bone blanks” is the search phrase I was looking for, so much available!

2 Likes

This is seriously fun. Can’t wait to try this for jewelry.

I figured someone would ask about the janky rastering. :slight_smile: Few things going on (as people correctly guessed): the resolution on the Glowforge is set lower, the low-fi power supply pops with a big power burst in certain circumstances (making the darker hole at the bottom), there’s a grain to the bone structure itself, etc.

There are a huge number of adjustments we’ll be making to improve engrave quality over the next few months, so expect improvements over time. Also keep in mind that the bone is quite small - about 0.25" tall - and zooming in shows jaggies that aren’t visible normally. It actually looks pretty great. : )

7 Likes

So I did as @rpegg suggested back on December 16th, 2015 and searched “bone blanks” on Amazon. I found this item and tracked the price ever since. Looks like a new business just launched that is undercutting Amazon’s price (~$18 to now $13.50) and with free shipping, all through Amazon. I’m a little hesitant to pull the trigger on this since there is a long shipping time and the business just starting out. Thoughts on this item?

40+ Pcs Assort Unfinished Bone Saddle Nut Blanks Inlay 1 Pound

5 Likes

I certainly have paid more for fewer pieces. Water Buffalo bone is fairly standard.

1 Like

I see it on etsy every so often, How much are you looking for? I’m a hunter and have saved bone befor, along with the hides. I done have any at the moment but will be making stock soon.

Tom

1 Like

Thanks, I’m not. Think @Christopher might have been looking. I use very little bone for musical instrument repair. Might play with the GF to see what it can do with bone, but I still have some. Don’t know anyone that doesn’t hunt here in the WV mountains, so antlers and stuff are pretty easy to come by. Thanks again.

1 Like