Bottle opener

These bottle openers have been a big hit with my small base of customers and a great little useful item that dresses up easily. From what I’ve seen Cermark is probably the premier metal ink, but I’ve had noticeably better result with Brilliance over Molly and the price was about half of Cermark. Good luck and don’t forget to share your opener results! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know why I had no qualms about dropping a couple thousand dollars for a laser cutter, but then cringe at a $90 can of spray paint. :man_shrugging: :grin:

6 Likes

I wasn’t going to post these at all, but when I saw ‘bottle opener’ my eyes perked up. I made them for our family video event which is in its third year out on the Oregon coast in July. Not official swag…just something that I wanted to make with my newly discovered ability to mark metal. I used LaserBond 100.

21 Likes

Pretty cool.

1 Like

That whale is outstanding! Perfect design for that opener.

5 Likes

Quite excellent. Which stuff are you using? The spray?

1 Like

Yes…the spray…LaserBond 100

3 Likes

One side proofgrade maple. Other side engraved on stainless after 3 coats of dry moly. Longest print to date at 4 hours, 28 minutes.

6 Likes

Yes! I used 4 coats of Dry Moly (few minutes in between to dry). Had to order the Dry Moly on Amazon because I couldn’t find any any local sources.
Father's Day Bottle Openers

1 Like

Can you provide the link to the wood used here? I can’t seem to find any with that thickness

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Proofgrade maple is cited most recently in this thread, as is veneer or cedar grilling planks that are about the same thickness as proofgrade materials. Any of these woods work.

1 Like

really, any PVA backed veneer would work, you just need to pick the type of wood you want.

1 Like

do you have a link of where to buy the veneerer?? and what settings do you use? I’m new so you engrave and cut is that right?

Yes, engrave and then cut.

Simplest place to get veneer is from Glowforge. There is PG veneer. For things like this, I’ve been lucky enough I can get scraps big enough to do things like this from work and our model shop (I work at an architecture firm). We get ours from a number of places online. Or last minute needs we can pick some up at a place like woodcraft.

this is so great! thank you! Im trying to make one for my husband but cant seem to get the word cut out of the middle piece. is there a way to do that?

1 Like

We’d need more info about the file you’re using and the wood and settings you’ve tried to really help. (There’s so many variables! :slight_smile: )

thanks for getting back to me! :slight_smile: I’m using the file attached in this post. The SVG. Im trying to use the GF PF cherry veneer

1 Like

Oh, I think I misunderstood! I thought you were trying to cut a word out of the wood as decoration. Are you trying to get rid of the actual word “cut” that’s in the first file? If so, you can open the file in a drawing program (Inkscape, Affinity etc) and remove it, then resave the file. I’ll also attach a clean version here if that makes it easier. I left the black decorative part that can be engraved, but you can just set it to “ignore” in the GUI if you don’t want it. Hope this is what you need!
bottle%20opener

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
You need to create a file with the word you want to cut or engrave, then add that to the file provided in this post. What are you trying to put on the opener?

this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. thank you SO much! I don’t have any of those programs but Im thinking I will need to be getting one soon! thank you!

1 Like