Bourbon Ball Box

Normally, we have between 50 and 65 people at our house for a Kentucky Derby Party on the first Saturday in May. Because of the pandemic, we are only having one other couple over. I decided to make a box to hold a dozen bourbon balls for them to take home with them.

70 Likes

Such a nice gift! Are the tabs pressure fit or glued?

4 Likes

I always glue the tabs.

8 Likes

An amazing piece of relief engraving!

5 Likes

That is beautiful!

3 Likes

Very nice! My mom used to send bourbon balls in care packages when he was in Vietnam during the war. Let’s just say they don’t lose their potency over time and distance. :rofl:

7 Likes

I like bourbon balls! and I live in Louisville. and ACCEPT deliveries from everywhere. :slight_smile:
LOL

7 Likes

Me too, although I’m trying to get the tolerances close so I don’t have to so much!

Again - beautiful work!

1 Like

How did you manage to get so much depth in that image when it looks to be done on 1/8" board? Is it 1/4" with a deep engrave or just an amazing illusion?

3 Likes

Excellent 3D engraving! The rope twist frame is a fine touch. :kissing_heart:
May I ask how you clean your engraves? I use full strength household ammonia and an old toothbrush.

2 Likes

Although I grew up in Louisville, I have been in North Carolina since 1978. I usually make 14 dozen at a time, but I only made 7 dozen this year.

2 Likes

I cannot take credit for the engraving. I bought the file from Mike at 805LaserSpot.

No cleaning was needed. I used the settings that Mike recommended on PG Maple unmasked, and it comes out perfect every time.

6 Likes

Which Bourbon do you use?

It is an optical illusion ( trompe l’oeil). Mike has nearly 300 3D illusion files for sale at his Etsy store.

4 Likes

Usually, I use Wild Turkey 101, but this year, I used Old Forester 1920 (115 proof). I always pick a bourbon with rye as the secondary grain and at least 100 proof. Water and alcohol interact differently with the powdered sugar, and I can get more bourbon in the mix with a higher proof. (The things I learned in pharmacy school!)

Wheated bourbons, like Makers Mark, Old Fitzgerald, Rebel Yell, Cabin Still, and any of the Weller or Van Winkle brands, are already sweet and get lost in the sugar. The bourbons with a high rye component hold their own against the sugar much better than a wheated bourbon does.

2 Likes

interesting. I made them with Maker’s and my father in law thought they were the best he’d ever had.

for giggles. I made some with FIREBALL, dipped them in which chocolate and topped with redhots.

1 Like

I have used the same running horses file in other applications.

I think that might be the only appropriate use for Fireball.

I have used Makers Mark before, but to me, it was too sweet. It is fine for sipping, but I did not like it in bourbon balls.

1 Like

oh man. take two ice cube trays. fill them with apple cider.

freeze, throw in blender with 3/4 cup of fireball.

BOOM a slushie to die for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is truly a work of art! Your friends will be awed. And the contents are probably to die for!

3 Likes