Bowls, Trays and a Cute Hedgehog Sticker

And I don’t know my way around Inkscape worth a damn. (sigh!) But the other guys worked out a method that worked, so thank goodness we’ve got all kinds of experts in it on the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This can’t happen…the house generally looks like a small thermonuclear device went off in it - especially the office these days. (Anyone showing up at my door had better jump back or their nose will be bruised. Something had to slide and it was unfortunately the housework.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

There’s an elegant intricacy in your designs. Maybe one of these will become your hedgehog’s fancy food bowl? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@dan you’re married - you know perfectly well that the fancy food bowls are only for guests. :hedgie:

6 Likes

Would you be able to make a tutorial for this process or link where I might find one? I’m currently underway and YouTube isn’t available for me but I can view a link later when I hit port.

1 Like

Yes, the original thread that @Clone posted has a lot of great information on what works and what doesn’t when you are making these things.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/scroll-saw-bowl-import-error-in-gfui/9944?u=jules

5 Likes

Haha, typical @jules, kicking up the action a few extra notches! These bowls are just wonderful! The one that intrigues me the most though is the apple one. The only way I can imagine it was done is to do two sets of apple profiles with one slightly smaller than the other. Otherwise you have no edges to glue to. Is that it?

3 Likes

Wow, the square ones look super cool! Will definitely have to start tinkering in Inkscape.

2 Likes

Yes, something along those lines exactly. Look closely at the stem…the pitch of the ring changed there. The stem is a different slope…not sure what to call it.

3 Likes

Awesome job! I’m probably going to steal the apple design, both my mom and sister are teachers.

6 Likes

Seriously, @Jules, seriously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, a little humility is great, but that’s just a big fat lie! :wink:

5 Likes

No, no really…you ought to see the back side. (Didn’t use PG for the prototypes.)

The apple bowl (which I did take up higher, but didn’t like the result) looks like the backside of an elephant. ROFL!

Pictures to prove it:

I get as many failures as successes. Usually more. But the failures usually lead to something else, and my “elephant butt” bowl caused a light bulb to go off about how to do actual 3D sculptures with a laser printer.

So i’ll get to play with that one day. :grinning:

32 Likes

Sorry but seeing the closeups convinces me the apple bowl is even more awesome than I thought.

6 Likes

Chuckle! And I thought it was much too klunky-looking! :smile:

Wow Wow Wow! Jules you are amazing!!! :+1:

3 Likes

Appreciate things for what they are and not what they should be! These bowls weren’t there before. Now they are. In their function they achieve their purpose. The form doesn’t distract from function but draws attention and says, “use me please”. I’d give this post a 10, want to make it now!

And the elephant heinnie? It’s intriguing.

10 Likes

It makes me blush showing it! ROFL! (So I guess it has amusement value.)

2 Likes

So neat! Thanks for sharing! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Those are beautiful!
I think I must make an attempt!

BTW, what are those black and white boxes with the buttons on them in the background? I kinda remember my grandparents had similar things, but I forget what they were used for. :wink:

3 Likes

Sadly, all I have been able to use to communicate with my mother in another state. (And I have to give her specific instructions on what to dial and what button to press to begin the facsimile generating process. So we have a matching set.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We have not graduated to the use of computers yet. A laser would scare her spitless.

6 Likes