Box for a Nativity

That is beautiful! The coloring on the angel is stunning.

1 Like

Remember when you were scared you wouldn’t ever be able to do neat stuff or understand how this whole laser thing works? :wink: Pretty sure you’ve graduated to artisan craftsman status. :clap:

5 Likes

Thank you…that means a lot to me, Jim…especially from you, oh my mentor! Funny you should mention that as just last night when I was looking in a drawer for something, there were the wind chime catchers that you had cut and engraved for me, per my design, and kindly sent by mail. I remember very well how I just didn’t ‘get it’…and was wondering if I ever would ‘get it’. It’s a good feeling knowing that I really HAVE learned so much since then. I will keep those to always remind me that everyone has to start somewhere and the sky’s the limit as to where they may end up. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: we are always our own worst critics. Lots of folks just leave it at that. You’re just who the GF is targeted for - latent talent that just needs the incentive to tip the balance and make what’s inside come alive. The machine doesn’t do it - but it gives you the tools that you combine in some really awesome ways (I’ve totally stolen your embossing powder tricks - my family lives some of what I’ve done with that stuff, nothing like yours but a big step up from the flat laser cut things I’ve done before now that I can add permanent color with embossing powders).

Glad you didn’t let the doubt hold you back. Just amazing work lately and it comes from the heart. Your family must think you’re the coolest! :grinning:

4 Likes

As usual, your work is so elegant! I’m sure your daughter will treasure this, it’s really special.

Also, I love that your box does not show any finger joints. This is something that I’ve been musing over lately. I want to do some special boxes, but I just don’t care for the look of the finger joints. Thanks for showing that it can be done!

2 Likes

The shading on the angel’s robe is amazing - well, so is everything, really. A lovely Christmas story to share with us.

1 Like

Thank you Drea…I have the same feelings as you about boxes without finger joints. I must say though…someone commented that finger joints lend strength to a box and I can vouch for that, as this box was pretty good sized and the gluing work on it was substantial. There were certain joints that were a bit tenuous. Hopefully, practice will improve this for me. I’d had very good luck though, with some smaller boxes that I’ve made.

1 Like