Braille ADA signs

Awesome yes I’m planning on getting the Johnson ADA appliqué but was wondering at what speed and power you cut the 1/32” acrylic so that it cuts the 1/32 acrylic but not the 1/8” acrylic below… I used to do ADA signs with a rotary engraver so with that machine it was a matter of the cutting depth. It just dawned on my yesterday that I can do ADA with the GF then in my search I found this thread for the raster beads but I can’t seem to find the speed and power to cut the top layer 1/32 acrylic/appliqué anywhere… Unless you are cutting the letters separately and then applying the letters by hand to the clear 1/8” acrylic?

1 Like

Hey Victor, I use 1/32" acrylic with the tape on the backs already. After masking the front I use Speed: 270, Power: 100 & manual focus height of .03. I like to tape the acrylic down to a sheet of metal or other non-cutting material stop it from lifting or falling through. After you cut the letters out just put some more masking on top to hold them together when you pick up the cut.

1 Like

I’m starting a project for the Perkins School in Boston with my Montessori Students. We have 1/2" acrylic and ADA raster beads. I would like to know if the holes you made go all the way through the acrylic layer? Or are we looking at shallow cuts that can hold the beads?
When I cut shallower holes, using custom settings, it cuts a circle and leaves the “hole” filled with acrylic that doesn’t come out so we can’t insert the beads.
Thanks for any help!

1 Like

The OP states that using 1/4" acrylic, the holes go all the way through the material. The process may not be possible with 1/2" acrylic which is harder to cut through (as you have discovered). Have you considered switching to 1/4" material or layering two 1/4" layers on top of one another?

6 Likes

Looking at the side view in the original post, I thought I saw pockets rather than holes going through. In my tests I’m getting the pockets but I’m left with poking out the acrylic that stays inside the holes so that I can try inserting the beads.

The designer picked up the 1/2" material so I’m trying to make that work.

If I try to work with holes going all the way through, I need a way to place the beads into the hole firmly without going inside, so that the bumps are raised above the surface to be readable.

Any ideas? Thanks so much.

1 Like

Have you tried the suggested from the OP to

?

If that’s not working, can you be specific as to how?

1 Like