Bread Slicing Machine

During this lock down, I’ve rediscovered my bread machine. We’ve been baking loaf after loaf after loaf. The biggest problem has been getting even slices. I even thought about using my glowforge to slice it, but luckily that was a fleeting thought! Instead I went ahead and used my glowforge to create a bread slicing machine. I love making stuff on my glowforge, but when I can make something that is more than just decorative and serves a purpose, well that is the icing on the cake!

101 Likes

bread slicer|215x279

12 Likes

Best thing since sliced bread.

13 Likes

If you are having problems cutting your bread it may be your knife.

It needs to be sharp and with small serrations/teeth.

My missus always uses the butchers knife, with no serrations, and its absolutely useless.

7 Likes

NIce! I love the name - De-Loafing Machine!

8 Likes

Actually the big innovation was the plastic wrapping for bread - kept the slices from going stale overnight.

4 Likes

I agree with you. It’s awesome when we can make something to solve a problem!

2 Likes

Most excellent! a lovely take on a useful project!

2 Likes

I like the acrylic/wood combination! I’ve been making bread daily too, and although I have a bread slicer, it’s unwieldy and I don’t really like it. I want to make a nice wooden one and have been slowly coming up with ideas in my head, but they haven’t quite taken shape yet.

3 Likes

I love a practical design! Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Practical cut for the perfect slice. Well done.

2 Likes

Cool! I made one years ago as one of the few useful things I managed to make with my CNC but never managed to get a proper wood plank for it. Thank you for reminding me, also useful for other slicing like meat.

2 Likes

Love it! I am apparently physically incapable of cutting a straight slice.

3 Likes

Great practical cut! Thanks for sharing as well.

4 Likes

yes indeed, always always always use a bread knife.

did I mention always use a bread night.

2 Likes

14 blades on an arbour! One cut=15 slices - Tim Taylor.

2 Likes

and aluminium foiiil.

5 Likes

Fabulous!

When I bought my bread machine they were also selling a slicer tray with a bread storage box. Bought one of each for myself and my Mom. She was far more adventurous in her bread making.

I also bought a wonderful knife from Cutco to slice bread. When a dear friend married, their wedding gift was a bread machine and a Cutco bread knife.

3 Likes

Or the butter on the bread, as it were.

6 Likes

I mean, if you did use the laser, it would slice and toast at the same time, so maybe don’t give up on the idea just yet. :smiley:

1 Like