Building a Computer Controlled Loom | RetroTech Journal

Holy wow. I started my first blog in 2001. It’s no longer up, but it’s always amazing to see blogs that have been around so long.

4 Likes

I started one in 1994. It wasn’t exactly a blog, since they weren’t invented yet, but it was a means of accumulating and sharing information about a topic that was pretty much nonexistent in the US back then, and if the format had existed I would have used it, because it would have served my purpose very well.

So, yeah…in certain circles I am “famous” for having the first-ever sugar glider website. I even made Netscape’s “cool site of the day” one time – I didn’t know at the time that I should have saved a screenshot. It wasn’t like there were thousands of websites, or anything, so it didn’t really seem like a big deal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Some ardent fans have archived it on their site, so Past Me continues to live on: http://www.sugarglider.com/archives/ruth/index.html

8 Likes

Exactly, the Internet, like the GUI, is just a fad. It’ll pass. :thinking:

4 Likes

Right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That site got me out of hardware and into my first Web development job in 1995. They were impressed that I had used their scripting language to create a guestbook, and hired me to create interactive websites with it (hence the now-defunct breeder database that allowed people to add their own information).

My mom and I had been driving home from visiting one of my brothers when we stopped at a farmer’s market and I saw one of the vendors playing with a pet sugar glider. I ended up buying a pair from him a few weeks later – I had no idea at the time that semi-impulsive decision was going to launch me into a whole new career. Life is funny like that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s so refreshing to have been doing something since before it exists. You were blogging before there was a word for it.

I’ve been a maker for about 50 years now. Not sure what year “maker” was coined for people who make and don’t limit themselves to any one discipline but I’m so glad it got coined as it was SO awkward to explain things before that term existed.

2 Likes

Yes, I use inserts all the time now. There are still a few situations where a captive nut makes more sense, but most of the time I go with the inserts. They’re not really any more expensive than using square nuts or something and the results are so easy/pro looking I love them.

1 Like

It is true that I liked when the “maker” term finally showed up. I remember what it was like before that term. "No I like making ALL kinds of things, Bread, Tatting, Welding, etc. " Now you can just say you’re a maker and folks kind of know that’s a cross discipline love of making. It was nice to discover my tribe. :]

5 Likes

Oh I guess since this is a laser specific sort of audience you guys might want to check out my laser tips and tricks page. Feel free to comment with your own tips on that page!

3 Likes

Yes, I try to explain this to people… there were blogs before they had a name. I started a site in maybe 95. That wasn’t really a blog, so much as a regular old website (Geocities, FTW!) Prior to that we had finger plans on our vax accounts to express ourselves.

My brother-in-law started a Hewlett-Packard website in maybe 94 and it was so popular that companies started sending him all sorts of computer components to review. That was well before this was even a thing that companies did, so we all thought we had hit the lottery (which we sort of had…).

1 Like

Yes, I read through Laser Cutter Tips too. I learned more than a few things. Thanks again.

3 Likes

And I guess you guys might be interested in the wacky laser cutter 3rd axis laser cutter project I did with my friend Lawrence. It uses a rotary axis and laser cutting + etching to cut complex 3d models using a laser. There’s not really enough headroom/power in a GF for that kind of work, but I always though it was a cool idea that folks should product iffy but no one ever has. :confused: Sorry I don’t mean to be spamming you guys with blog links. I just haven’t found myself talking to a bunch of heavily into lasers folks before. :]

5 Likes

Keep spamming! I’m loving it!

3 Likes

Yes, my first website “blog” thing was when I was working at SGI in 94, and they were encouraging employees to add webpages to a site they hosted for employees. This was when you’d make a link to the image and include the size of the image in the link so people would know what kind of wait they’d be in for if they clicked on it. lol. Kind of a “Warning Huge 45k file” naming system. I had backyard foundry info on one of those pages and I used to get email questions from foundries in India, etc. I would think “um… You clearly have me mistaken for someone who knows what he’s doing…” lol

6 Likes

I always just told people I had a DaVinci Complex.

Then real Makers came along & I transitioned to idiot cousin.

6 Likes

As a Glowforger and a weaver I absolutely LOVE this video and your loom. I also love how you incorporated the 3D printing. I’ve been trying to think of ways to use my 3D printer with my Glowforge and this gave me a great idea.

Thank you for the awesome video and the inspiration.

3 Likes

I’m glad you liked it. I’ve been having fun figuring out the best ways 3D prints/laser cuts can work together. They are very complementary.

2 Likes

This is incredible. As a weaver myself, I’ve been experimenting with the glowforge for a variety of frames and tools, but nothing like this! Next I would love to see automation of direct warping!

1 Like

Goodness!!! Are you kidding? You are a genius and the video is awesome. Love the editing. If I could edit my videos half as good as yours, I’d be in business!!!

2 Likes

Also, I must add… I am a crocheter and knitter. I love all things fiber. I love to spin yarn, knit it, and crochet it. Crocheting was my first love and knitting came after. I usually don’t go long periods without picking up a project. So this video was very enjoyable!

4 Likes