Cabin tile

A friend from work asked if I could make an 8x4 tile for his family. All he said was put our name on it somewhere and see if you can do a cabin in the woods style picture. This was the end result, and they loved it.

42 Likes

Nicely done! I buy those tiles once and a while. It’s a fun aspect ratio, a panoramic view.

1 Like

Thanks. The main tiles I’ll work on are the 4.25x4.25 ones, or the 3x6, but my local Lowe’s had a handful of the bigger 4x8 tiles, so I couldn’t turn them down lol

3 Likes

sharpie?

Yep lol

That is really great! and that is a really nice graphic!

2 Likes

Thanks! I was happy with the result, and so were they, which I guess is more important lol

Very picturesque!

1 Like

Nicely done.

1 Like

Tiles are so satisfying! They are easy to do and really have impact.

1 Like

I am getting a little better each time I make a new one. I went to my local big box store on my way home yesterday and picked up an entire box of 100 4.25" tiles lol

I have two boxes that my wife told me were no longer laser fodder since we’re awash in coasters. I may actually have to do a tile project in the bathroom or somewhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And by that I hope you mean that you will laser something on all the tiles THEN use them for your project, right? :wink:

I thought about that - make a really large scale scene spread across the wall. But SWMBO is not big on tiles in the bathroom (or most anywhere but the floor). I did a table top once for a coffee table that turned out great (used tile sealer so the sharpie ink didn’t bleed or wash out). The GF will engrave over the edge some so it really helps make it look seamless.

1 Like

Sharpie ink is definitely not UV safe.

How many trivets in your household? No doubt you could use more of those. :wink:

2 Likes

I love it too!! Great vintage look to it.

1 Like

Next best option for longevity? Black spray paint perhaps?

IMO spray paint is more about painting it and then etching away the paint. You could do that in the tile in the OP by doing a negative engrave, but then the white areas will be pitted and will look like it. If that is the look you want, then definitely doable. If you mask the tile, engrave and then paint you will most likely have issues with bleeding/wicking under the masking.

They make oil markers that may be more UV resilient. There are clear coatings as well.

I was just pointing out the UV thing as I had a nice (technically profane) Marvin the Martian tile that after a year outside, mostly in the shade, is very, very faded.

Thx for the inspiration to start etching some tiles
image1%20(1)
use some black spray paint for the etched areas.

3 Likes

Looks great! I still feel weird when people tell me that I have inspired them, but thank you very much!
How did you do the cleanup? Or did you mask it first?

1 Like