Cable issue with GF basic

This is my replacement basic machine. I had extra lid cables I purchased myself for my previous machine that started with same issue. This one worked wonderfully yesterday and this morning I cut it on and the print head never moved. So after several times of that, I changed the cable with one I had already and we are back in business. Just like to report that and if possible check the logs and see what you see on your end. I changed the cable at 12:25 PM eastern time so anything you get from today 3/6/21 prior to that was the issue. Also for anyone reading this, it is a normal practice to just keep these cables on hand??

2 Likes

It is a judgment call. Is having a spare (whatever) worth the pain/probability of not having it. Different folks get different ranges of time between black cable failures, just as having their Glowgforge down for a week or so is a variable expense. If you have needed several black cables (or lenses or white cables) and would lose a lot of money if the single Glowforge was down for a week then having extras would be a useful thing.

1 Like

Good business practice. I have extras of all the parts they sell at the shop just in case. I also have extras for my lathes and CNC on hand you never know when thing will go out and you need to limit down time to as little as possible. I even have spare part for my cars on those items that tend to need replaces like fuses and bulbs.

Glad your back up and running… :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

Have you checked your WiFi lately? Whenever my head doesn’t move, rebooting my wifi router solves it. Thankfully, I’ve never had the black cable issue yet. (Knock on wood)

1 Like

My entire house runs off my Wifi lol. I think they would be able to tell me that by looking at the logs.

1 Like

I guess one of my main reasons for posting this was it’s still under warranty. I shouldnt have to pay for things that tear up under warranty. Also, does this happen often? With my last one, 3 changes and it still wouldn’t work so that’s why it went back. I do plan on keeping spares though.

1 Like

That might be part of the problem there, it isn’t strong wifi that’s needed, GF wants STABLE. The rest of my devices can be running on my wifi just fine but not necessarily the GF. Most of your computer/phone/tablet apps incorporate some sort of buffering so unstable wifi looks seamless to you. GF unfortunately, does not. Too many other wifi devices can also make GF unstable.

Try rebooting your router, it takes less than 5 min and you have nothing to lose.

2 Likes

If it was under warranty they probably would have sent you a cable for free if that was the issue. It seems there has been issues with the cables but I don’t think it’s the cable anymore than it could be a WIFI issue. Also, some of the pictures I have seen the PC boards looks really dirty. If you a regular cleaning schedule and clean everything then, at least on y opinion it will last longer. I clean my equipment at the end of every day. My oldest lathe is 5 years old and my oldest CNC is about the same both with no problems. I have spare parts for both just in case.

I had an issue with my first GF and they replaced really quick back in "18 but nothing since. Just like to have spares just in case.

They will be able to let you know if it was the WiFi. The GF requires a 2.4 Ghz band for the WiFi, depending on your provider one thing to might want to consider is a booster. I put one in my shop to insure I had a strong signal since all of my equipment each have it’s computer that I send my work too…

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you hit this snag while utilizing your replacement unit. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent connections, and compared it with the information you sent over.

Based on the log files, it does appear that the black lid cable was experiencing trouble communicating with the lid camera, which cause the lid camera to fail to take images from inside of your Glowforge. I’m glad to hear that you were able to replace the cable quickly, but I’m sorry that this has occurred.

I’ve issued a gift card in the amount of $50 directly via your email to reimburse you for the cable, and for some additional material for your future projects. I hope this will be helpful!

Could you let me know if you are running into any additional snags?

4 Likes

Hello @budsysmith, I just wanted to check in and see how things are going? Have you run into any further issues? Did you receive the gift certificate my colleague Marc sent over?

If you are still running into any trouble, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help. Thank you!

Everything is perfect right now. Thanks for checking!

That is great news! Thank you for letting us know.

I’m going to close this thread now. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re happy to help!