Cable unable to attach to the printer head (no click)

I just received my gf today and cannot get past the step where you attach the cable (white ribbon) to the printer head and supposed to hear a click. I am unable to connect it securely. There’s no click happening and I can easily separate the two without having to push the small part to release the connection. All the pins inside look good. No obstruction anywhere in the connection. Order G796379406

Attach are pics.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Bit of bad news…it looks like your little clicking mechanism has broken. I don’t know if that can be repaired without sending the machine back in or not. It is important to maintain a tight connection between the white ribbon cable and the head, so support will be in touch as soon as they see your post here and let you know what the best thing to do is going to be. (Definitely would be covered under warranty though.)

(It can take them a day or so to see your post, so you don’t have to wait here. As soon as they see it they will get in touch.)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they will get you fixed up. :neutral_face:

It looks as though it is cracked.

I might be going blind. Where do you see it broken?

Could you show me where it is cracked? I just can’t see anywhere broken or cracked.

Here:

f67a62028dbf0656289472cd7032355ab960986e_2_375x500

2 Likes

Looks like @jules beat me to it.

1 Like

I see it now…a hairline crack. Thank you.

You had good photos. Makes it much easier to diagnose.

They’ll be along to help.

1 Like

I don’t know of a temporary fix. You definitely don’t want to glue it.

I thought of that and it might work with epoxy, but I’m not sure how stable it would be. They’ll probably want to replace it.

Is there anywhere in the cleaning part of the glowforge that requires it to be disconnected to be able to clean though? So making it permanently attached would be a problem when it’s time to clean.

It can be left in there permanently. But that’s something that you need to talk over with support, and let them know if you are willing to do it that way. It’s not necessary to completely remove the cable to clean the lenses, but you’ll need to be a little more careful to not kink the cable when you clean it. (I haven’t detached my head for cleaning in a year or so.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about the condition your Glowforge arrived in, and for the trouble you’ve been experiencing.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news. I’ll now close this thread.