CAD designs

Hello!

Can you import designs from Autodesk AutoCAD, and have the Glowforge cut out the design?

1 Like

Yes (welcome!) but it’s not without some challenges.

There are lots of threads on this:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=autocad

I’d suggest getting a drink and a snack and digging in, all the answers are already here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank-you!

Lots of data on this, short answer is it can be done.
I managed to slice an object into 12 discrete parts using my cad program and it came out okay. At the very least, it was a lot faster than 3D printing it.
Then I later found out there are better (less manual) ways to do it. Poke around, since this urge has been in demand for a long time.
(disclaimer - It may well depend on how complicated the item is).
Here is an instructable on it.

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

I use AutoCAD for anything requiring precise measurements, like templates. You can set your layers so they are specific to cut, engrave etc.

Plot your drawing as an Adobe PDF, Scale 1:1 in paper space. I also set up my sheets for 11X17 to allow for reduced dimensions on most uncertified materials.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Exactly what I do. I have a template file I start all new designs with and it has a set of colored layers along with a 11.5x19 rectangle to act as a guide for a cuttable area (this is obviously an estimate - the interface will show you exact based on material). This template has served me incredibly well over the years of designing in CAD for the GF

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.