CAD LT Files Converting on Illustrator

So I have had my GF Pro for about 2 weeks. I am a total cluts in Inkscape and Illustrator. I know I need to take the time to learn but all I keep thinking is that if this were CAD I would be done already. HERE’S THE TRICK! Draw your design in CAD and save it to the oldest DXF you can. In my case that is an R12/LT2 DXF. Simple open with Illustrator and sand to an SVG. (I use SVG 1.0) And voila! you can cut it immediately and work in an environment you are used to. Of course I still play around with the other software in the hopes to get proficient at it. But when it’s time to work, go with what you know!

2 Likes

Yep! I do a lot of 3D design in Fusion 360 then export the DXF into Illustrator for fine tuning…it’s a good workflow. :+1:

3 Likes

I want that software!

You can get it free (hobbyist and startup use- there’s no charge). You just have to Register it once a year to renew the license.

1 Like

Been using CAD since it was invented and I started the conversion stuff once CorelDraw came out and I had a need to use both.
Once I got confident using COREL, designs were being converted both ways.

Thankfully, (decades later), the forge arrived and I have gotten more familiar with the art programs.
Not making blueprints these days, so biggest use for CAD is to convert STL files into something usable by Corel.
Tricky layouts are also easier to manipulate in CAD. Just have to isolate the final chunks and convert when done.

All your CAD experience will transfer to the art programs eventually.
Just keep plugging at it.

2 Likes

Roger that

1 Like

A real plus for Fusion 360 is that there are plugins that Will let you output a svg directly.
Open it in your favorite illustration sw to fine tune and print.

3 Likes

I have yet to take the time to learn fusion, but I am a pro with sketchup and know my way around illustrator. if I want to make a box or structure I make all my parts in sketchup and then when satisfied I lay them out and take an overhead view shot that is to scale and import the pic to illistrator and do some post processing like changing line thickness but have no altering to do to the base. basic compared to fusion but works wonders for me.

2 Likes

and at least my “prototyping” is all done on the pc and no wasted material (as long I make all parts the right thickness)

1 Like

These are all great ideas! I am going to try some when I have a minute or 80

Try just saving to a PDF. That works in my CAD software.