Calibrate and head movement

I have not received my unit yet, so maybe I am just confused and don’t understand the calibration issue.

What I read from the forum is that the solution to many calibration issues (and the head trying to move past where it physical can) is to turn off the unit and then move the head.

my concern with moving the head: when you move a system with a motor attached you will create current. Does the glow forge have protection in the system to handle this current that is being produced by a motor when the system is off? Does Glowforge recommend that you only move the head when it is still plugged in (so that the ground is still functional).

it would be nice to include this type of information in the manual.

Yes it has protection, yes you should still go relatively slow.
Not the problem it appears to be here. I have to do this about once a month.

1 Like

There is a thread somewhere in the forums about exactly this. I can’t find it right now, but dan said it’s protected - don’t remember anything about keeping it plugged in for the ground. Thing is you’ll probably have it on, then turn it off, then move the head and then turn it on again. So it will stay plugged in and connected to ground. I turn mine off when not in use, but leave it plugged into the surge protector. That said, when springtime rolls around and brings the thunderstorms I’ll probably unplug it when not in use. If a tornado takes out the house I only hope glowforge is through their backlog by then for my replacement.

1 Like

I believe dan was referring to the fans, not the motors. The issue came up due to people using booster fans with > 200 cfm airflow and worrying about the fans generating current.

1 Like

Yeah, I think if you get sucked up into a tornado, you should be able to keep whatever you find in there. :crazy_face:

Just want to add: move it with the power off. You can move it with the power on, but there will be quite a bit of resistance.