Calibrating and Going offline

Okay,

So we recently had to replace our last Glowforge and the new warranty replacement came in. Since we’ve had the new one it takes us about 30 minutes to get anything to print because we have to get it to stay online. When it does get to the point where it will “print” it then drops offline again.

I have read quite a bit of the forum and here is what I know

1. Its wifi signal is strong and I’ve had our network IT guys make it the primary device on the network.
  2. We turn off the Florescent lights and sometimes it works but in general, it keeps calibrating. I’m told they may interfere with the wifi or the camera calibration.
  3. We’ve cleaned all the lenses and any other part that may be part of the calibration practice according to instructions.

It prints fine when you can get it too but overall it tends to not print and is stuck calibrating and going offline. I have read all the similar cases and tried many of their solutions to little avail. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Like

Have your IT guys made sure it’s on the 2.4Ghz network (and not a 5Ghz network)?
The GF only likes the 2.4 networks, so if it’s sharing an SSID with a 5Ghz that may confuse it?

1 Like

This is going to sound stupid, but has anything else changed in the vicinity? Is the new GF in exactly the same spot? Any new pieces of metal in the vicinity? (I once had wifi go away for a while after I put a big metal plate on the side of the GF table to hold my magnets. It might have just been a coincidence, but at some point after the plate went away so did my connectivity problems.)

I see you’ve done most of the other things. For lights, it can help to just plain drape a dark cloth over the glass and see if that helps. Also, sometimes it’s worth bringing another device (phone or tablet) to the same location and seeing what kind of connectivity it gets. Wifi can be remarkably irregular.

Fingers crossed for you

1 Like

We’ve got a cover for the light issue. I’ll have to check on the other items that have been moved around in the room. They may be causing some disruption especially some of the old IT stuff we’re getting rid of.

I’m so sorry for the trouble. According to the logs I’ve extracted to investigate, it looks like the Glowforge is having difficulty maintaining a connection with your Wi-Fi network. On Friday 8/24, there were numerous logged connections, followed shortly by disconnections. In the cases where the Glowforge was able to begin calibrating, the connection was lost partway through, causing those attempts to ultimately time out.

If possible, I’d like you to try a test that will help us narrow down the problem and make sure the Glowforge is operating properly. For this test you’ll need to have access to a network that’s completely separate from your current network, such as a mobile hotspot.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out cellular interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.

2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.

3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.

4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem over the last hour. We had thunderstorms last night. I rebooted my Eero unit nearest the machine and the repeated calibrations stopped after I turned on the Glowforge. Just my experience. I.E. I’m fine now.

4 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.