Calibrating till the cows come home

i’m very new here. I have a few small items under my belt. I have been “trying” to print for a few days now off an on. I get everything loaded I start calibrating and rarely move from there. A few times it went to scanning material ( proof grade) and gets stuck there. I refuse to get excited over that anymore either.

I’m not using it daily or anything but yesterday I spent more than 3 hours “trying to print” yesterday and today is almost 2. i’ve spent more time unplugging every possible item I have in hopes of getting it to work. i’ve rebooted everything countless times. restarted browsers/ modems/ glowforge…unplugged / replugged set up again and again. All my other wireless devices work .

I know the glowforge has worked a few few times now, since I have small items to prove it but I can’t spend hours hoping to maybe print one small item.

Is there a Glowforge for dummies somewhere because I look at all the cool stuff others are making and I know I have to be doing something horribly wrong.

From reading your message,

Does that mean you get stuff loaded (the file) into the UI and then turn the machine on and waiting for it to finish its initial calibration? Does it do anything when you turn it on? Does the head move around? Does the white button flash at all?

i used my GF 2 days ago and today i go to use it and its not moving just keeps saying re-calibrate. should i turn it off or is it updating?

Updates generally only take a few minutes, so if it’s been longer than that, go ahead and try restarting it to see if it gets unstuck. (If not, start a new thread in Problems and Support so that they know about it.)

thanks i sent an email already but its weird this has never happen before…and with an audience in the room…

1 Like

Hate it when that happens. :smile:

There have been a few recent reports of being stuck on calibration so it might not be an isolated incident… I’d just wait to hear from GF at this point.

sooo dont unplug it?

Probably not necessary. (You can turn it off if you like.) :slightly_smiling_face:

i love your reverse psychology i will do both

:smile:

Alo logout of the application everywhere and ose the browsers. Then move the head under the camera before turning it back on. Wait until it returns the head to the left rear corner.

Once all that has finished, fire up the browser and log into the app. Load up one of the original designs like the ruler and see if you’re back in business.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’re having trouble. I extracted the logs to investigate the problem you reported, and it looks like you might be having Wi-Fi issues.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point

Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:

• Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge

2. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

If the trouble continues, could you please try the following?

If you have a smartphone that can create a Wi-Fi Hotspot, let’s see if that works better.

• Instruct your phone to create a Wi-Fi hotspot (search the internet for instructions specific to your phone)
  • Place your phone on top of the right glass panel of the unit
  • Hold down the Glowforge unit’s button for 10 seconds until it glows teal
  • Go to app.glowforge.com/setup on your laptop or desktop
  • Follow the instructions on screen
  • Try a few prints, and take note of whether your Glowforge remains online more reliably
  • Let us know how it goes
1 Like

thank you will try all your suggestions and let you know where i end up,

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.