Calibration Process with None Proofgrade Material

It looks like I need to re-calibrate my camera for some precision work I need to do, but I can’t get draft board in the recommended measurements. (Not in stock)

Has anyone had good luck using another material? I know it’s not supported but wanted to see if someone had luck.

If you have another piece of Proofgrade in the same thickness, it will also work. I believe you can use pretty much anything in the medium thickness that is very straight and flat. You will want to mask it with the wide (12”) masking tape so it scores like Draftboard would score. You could also re-mask a piece of Draftboard that you have previously used for calibration.

3 Likes

I had to burn thru several sheets to get mine working - issue with how they collected the images caused it to fail multiple times after “printing”. I ended up with a piece of cardboard from a shipping box, which was flat, obviously.

My alignment is about 1mm across most of the bed. Note that the stated specs are about 1/8", so if you’re within that, support won’t be able to help you get any closer.

thanks all. So the thickness of the material is what’s important.

1 Like

The Recalibration feature was designed to be used with a flat piece of medium Proofgrade Draftboard, used upside-down (with the QR code side down). It may work with other materials that are the same size and use the same print settings as well, like Proofgrade plywood. As @cynd11 mentioned, if you don’t have any full sheets of Proofgrade material, you can try it with a 12" x 20" piece of laser compatible material as long as it’s perfectly flat.

Since this doesn’t require follow-up from the Support team, I’m going to move this thread to the Everything Else section and leave it open to continue this discussion. Should you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Can I try it on materials that are not perfect in size but are in thickness and larger than 12" x 20"

Can the material be any wood color?

You can’t fit material larger than 12x20 on the bed.

The surface needs to be light as the calibration uses a light score.

True! Sorry. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.