Camera calibration "Expired" (multiple times)

@eflyguy, sorry about the mistake in my instructions. Thank you for catching that! It looks like you’re getting excellent connection speeds.

After looking into this in detail, it looks like there might be something causing a slow transfer when your Glowforge uploads data as part of its calibration process. This could potentially be caused by interference from other wireless devices on your network. One thing you could try would be to turn off your other devices and then see if calibration completes successfully.

Finally managed to run this with everything that connects to wifi, except for my laptop, powered off. Note that the laptop connects to 5GHz:

Same result - after ~3 minutes from “Taking a picture”, I got “Expired” again.

I fired up a site survey utility and scanned my home (the main living area shown is not very large - 38x28’) and the signal strength at the GF is shown below.

I managed to get calibration to run, you can close out this case.

For the benefit of those who might also struggle with this issue - it ended up being a weak wifi signal. My broadband provider might have great bandwidth, but the 2.4GHz radio on their equipment totally sucks. I realized the signal strength survey I had shared was for 5GHz, the laptops default. The 2.4GHz data was not so good. I bought a well-reviewed 2.4GHz range extender but that didn’t help either. Having that, however, allowed me to run the speedtest on my laptop over 2.4GHz, and the results were pathetic. It even gave an error during the upload test.

So I dug up a spare router and connected it directly to the ISP equipment via ethernet cable. Speedtest showed good transfer speeds both up and down, so I switched the GF over to that, and the calibration ran without issue.

Now that the calibration has run successfully, I can switch the GF back to my regular wifi, which has given me no issues - I don’t need an extra router and cable running thru my living room! lol.

Oh, and the calibration has, of course, made a significant difference in UI-bed alignment. I was previously out over an inch in the top right corner, and about 1/2 inch on the other three.

4 Likes

Thank you for the update and for the information on what led to a solution. I’m glad to hear that your unit was able to complete the camera calibration! I’ll close this thread now.

If you run into trouble again, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help.