Camera does not recognize Proofgrade material and gives me warning

I have bought about $400 is Proofgrade material (its all I use) and am starting our Etsy store soon (with my wife) one thing has been coming up - when I put in boards at times it wont read the QR code (and there are the times when i want to remove the mask for an engrave etc though thats a different topic) and it gives me a warning “warning you are not using Proofgrade material” et cetera and I am sure that is going to the @dan and Glowforges servers. So here is my hypothetical - since in many posts he clearly states anything except Proofgrade is out of warranty. Well I am only using Proofgrade (they can check how often ive ordered from them to verify since ive gotten the machine - i even ordered more last night with a delivery that hasn’t even come yet to arrive soon) and what if some mechanical failure (knock on wood) happens within the warranty? Are they going to understand that the QR code doesn’t always read? We don’t always mask? And I always use Proofgrade? Gonna order a second Glowforge soon as we are hoping this isnt a huge issue.

1 Like

This is a common problem and not one to be concerned about as long as you’re able to choose your material from the drop down list on the left in the UI. You don’t void your warranty by using non-proofgrade materials. I’ve had my basic now for 2 1/2 years and have many time gotten the message/warning about not using proofgrade when I know I am. Just ignore the message. I also occasionally notice that it isn’t recognizing the QR code. You can also ignore that. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

3 Likes

Thank you that does help put my mind at a bit of ease

1 Like

To be clear, all they are saying is that any damage caused to the machine shown to be caused by not using PG materials, or by using manual settings, is what would void the warranty.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you ran into trouble with your Glowforge.

Using non-Proofgrade materials does not void your warranty, but if there is a problem with your materials that damages your Glowforge, the damage caused by your materials would not be covered under the warranty.

The full details of the warranty are available at https://glowforge.com/warranty.

In regards to your Glowforge detecting Proofgrade, I extracted the logs and noticed that the Lid Camera may need to be cleaned.

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the camera on the unit’s lid.
  3. Place a piece of Proofgrade material in the bed with the QR code facing up.
  4. Close the lid and turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. Open any design in the Glowforge app.

If your Proofgrade material is not detected, the app will say “Unknown” near the top left-hand corner. If this is the case, please take a screenshot of what you see in the app, and send it to us so we can investigate. Please include the “Unknown” message at the top-left, the rulers, the visible QR code, and as much of the app as possible:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and search for the Snipping Tool. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file
1 Like

Just as far as covering damage. Considering all the food I have engraved with mine, along with dan making sushi in the original video, your warranty is safe. Also if the camera is being finicky, you can manually select from the top left the material (it’s got a live search function so if you are looking for purple acrylic just type purple…

5 Likes

You’re like the 4th person in the last week or so to state some version of this, despite it being incorrect. Can you link to where you’re seeing it?

1 Like

If it’s incorrect it’s incorrect - The burden is not on me to make it clear (maybe ask one of them). They don’t have a phone number it’s not easy to get a hold of them and it’s very confusing as far as which material is covered or not which is why I always use proof grade material.

Thank you -

I didn’t say I wasn’t using non proof grade materials - I said I only use proof grade and sometimes take my masking off. Did you read the post sir? I also cleaned it every other day. Including the small fan and larger fan.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Removing the masking does not void the warranty, even if you are using Proofgrade materials. Also, removing the QR code from the material will not allow your Glowforge to automatically detect the material, and it will need to be manually selected.

After extracting the logs from your Glowforge again, I am still noticing a fair amount of debris on the lid camera. Could you please take a photo of the camera, and post it in to this thread?

1 Like

Not at home - it’s super clean, I cleaned it deeply yesterday. Check the log again - And what time was the log taken? I did an entire deep cleaning yesterday. Also to be honest it’s kind of upsetting for you to tell me to send you a picture of the camera when we are talking about taking the masking off of proof grade material, or are using the flipside in which case the cheap go pro camera that you guys stick inside the unit is worthless if you have no QR code anyway - So exactly what kind of deflection is that asking me to take a pic of the camera? This is why you need a number tbh - I will have post a picture of my super clean camera when I get home later

Your lens could have a problem if it shows as dirty on their end after you cleaned it.

So yes, they need the picture.

Am I in a cosmic bunny hole? The camera being clean or not has no bearing on whether or not it can read a non-QR code or a non-mask piece of proof grade Because there is nothing to read. This has nothing to do with my camera. I’m sure Since they have such easy access to my logs they can tell that it was super clean during last nights print. That said I’ll take a picture of my clean Lens when I get home

My question was simply about the error message that comes up when you takeoff masking - my prints turn out amazing. That question has been answered

I have no idea. Maybe so.

Maybe we just didn’t understand what you were hoping to accomplish by opening a ticket here…filling you in on the warranty information wasn’t it, and getting your camera to read QR codes better wasn’t it…has your question been answered?

Sorry we were typing at the same time…so support can close this one.

2 Likes

Yes it has lol that’s my point All on Glowforge image|666x500

Based on your original post, your Glowforge was experiencing an error when attempting to detect the QR code on the material, as well as you inquired about removing the masking tape and how this could effect the warranty.

I apologize if this was the main concern in the post. I was initially concentrating on reviewing your camera, to make sure that it is clean and detecting proofgrade as it should.

I’m glad to hear that your prints are turning out well. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com or by creating another thread.

I will now close this topic.

1 Like

It prints lovely