Camera image keeps disappearing in Safari

I’ve noted that when zooming in or moving artwork around, the bed camera image often disappears, and I have to start over to get it back. This is driving me a bit crazy as I’ve spent the past 15 minutes repeatedly trying to line up a small piece of text. Crossing my fingers doesn’t seem to help.

2 Likes

You can force a new photo by clicking the gear icon at the top. When working with non-PG, re-entering the focus depth usually works, too.

2 Likes

Neither of those tricks works for me, unfortunately.

Seems like I’ve heard this is browser dependent. Why don’t you try a different browser and see if it still does that.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I’m looking into it now.

1 Like

We need a bit more information to investigate. Please do the following:

1. Go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
  2. Click the button that says “Link”
  3. Copy the highlighted link
  4. Reply to this or send an email to support@glowforge.com, and paste in the link provided
  5. If you can, attach a screenshot of your Workspace

This will help us understand the circumstances around your error so we can work on it for you.

3 Likes

Ok, here’s the browser link, and screenshot attached. I can consistently trigger this by zooming to 200%. Up to 150% it works and at 200% I get a checkerboard.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/w/A3HRTSK

5 Likes

Had the exact same problem. Support suggested I use a different web browser, so I began using Chrome instead of Safari. Instant solution.

3 Likes

I would call that a workaround, not a solution. I strongly prefer not to have any third-party browsers installed on my computer. This is… unfortunate. I may have to give up using my Glowforge for a while. But you’re right, I confirmed triggering this at 200% is Safari-specific. I see display glitches in Chrome but they are not persistent like this.

3 Likes

i agree that it should be supported at some point, but i also don’t think it’s a real hardship to keep a copy of chrome around solely for use with the glowforge, and hardly worth not using the laser over.

i bet chromium would also work if this is some philosophical thing.

4 Likes

I use all of the big three…simultaneously. Firefox has all my comics and random stuff. Chrome has netflix and amazon prime. Safari has a few really wanna remember things.

5 Likes

monster

5 Likes

I keep Firefox as my ‘secure’ system (as if there is such a thing) - it has no Java and 3 different blockers on it.
Chrome is for all the things i want to see but dont trust enough to open up Firefox to (mostly online shopping).

2 Likes

Ok, so we’ve established that the Glowforge UI is more stable in Chrome than Safari, so chances are Support will close this soon with a “I see you’ve got it working” sort of message. Just as a reminder, Glowforge officially supports Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, so when something fundamental isn’t working in one of those browsers, the long term answer is not to switch to one of the others. For now, it’s in beta, problems are expected, and I’ll juggle the extra windows and overhead while the kinks are being worked out. And I will happily function as an extension to browser QA, testing in Safari and filing bugs. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

When a company is building a product, they will go to the most supported/demanded resource.

In the US, that is an iOS mobile device, but in Asia, it is Android. In the US, wheat is preferred, but rice is many other regions (preferred versus available does play a factor).

Chrome is the preferred browser (worldwide with 60% of the browser user) and Safari has 4%. Also, Chrome has a much greater flexibility to interface with (which is why Internet Explorer is not a supported browser that has 16%, but Firefox is supported with only 12%).

It is good to use what a manufacturer provides with their hardware, but if another manufacturer wants to interface with that hardware, they have to have flexibility to make things work. Apple is not know for being flexible.

I’m impressed that Glowforge is pressing to make Safari work (with the understanding that iOS devices are prevented from changing away from Safari as the default browser), but 4% of the market is hard to focus productive resources on that generate better returns with the 60% browser with is easier to troubleshoot, diagnose and implement new features with.

6 Likes

i mean, sure? but safari is an officially supported browser, and given the newness of the support system, i think his proactive bit about the browser is worthwhile.

also, more relevant to the subject at hand: what percentage of orderers used safari (mobile or desktop) to order, i wonder?

2 Likes

iOS is great, of course. But I’m not sure what you based that statement on.

For clarity, once they get it working well in Chrome, then they can implement it in Safari easier.

With the combination of Mac OSX and iOS devices, Safari only makes up 4% of the browser market. Trying to get functionality going on non-3rd party browsers first will only alienate users and consume programming dollars (with less return for the investment).

Edge has twice the usage as Safari (worldwide browser in use), but Windows 10 has nearly 3 times the market as all Mac OSX. Yet Edge is the non-3rd party browser for the Windows 10. To have programmers focus first on Edge and Safari (addressing less than 10% of the browsers market) would consume productivity (dealing with nuanced issues that may or may not be documented or company policy not allowing details about) and take longer to be resolved.

With 3rd party browsers wanting to get installed and used on systems, flexibility, functionality and documentation will be more readily available to developers. Once they figure out how to implement (and/or fix) features with the 70%+ browser market share, it simplifies to issues making it work with the 10% market share.

I would love to see the browser connect logs (which identify browser, OS, version and connecting device) to see how the browser market share deviates (because of the uniqueness of the users) from the averages.

I tip my hat to those dedicated to their mobile devices to run the GFUI and make it would efficiently.

2 Likes

me too, i suspect there’s a noticeable deviation from standard. i mean no surprise, self-selected group with a lot of effort to buy in.

Popularity is an input to the product decision on which browsers to support. It’s not a reason to not put “resources” into fixing problems with browsers that are on the supported list.

I don’t see the value in a thread debating market share in this category. The issue has been raised, I’m sure there is or is going to be an internal ticket on it, and what happens from there is up to Glowforge.

3 Likes