Camera Out of Focus -- New GF+

I just received my GF+ today and it doesn’t recognize PG material. Same issue as many others that I’ve read before posting…

I am reporting my problem so that the staff can work their magic and get my camera focused. It cut the Gift of Measure without problem with me simply selecting the correct material from the dropdown. However, I’d like the machine to recognize PG materials, especially since I ordered extras from the Shop.

Thanks in advance.

Would you be able to post a screen shot to get a baseline as to the focus issues?

There have been some machines that don’t do Proofgrade out of the box well. I had one like that.

I in fact had to go through two replacements one right after the other. One was skewed terribly and over the 1/4" allowance for accuracy. The other was way blurry. Luckily all was still under warranty. They made it right with a new machine that I have had now going for a year and functions flawlessly every time.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot.

Hi @Wysdom, I am so sorry your new Glowforge is not recognizing Proofgrade Material! Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the wide angle camera on the unit’s lid.
  3. Place Proofgrade material in the bed with the QR code facing up.
  4. Close the lid and turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. Open any design in the Glowforge app.

If Proofgrade material is still not recognized, please let me know and we’ll investigate further.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @kathan. I’ve done as instructed and it is still out of focus. Also, I’ve just noticed that the camera isn’t even centered – it’s cutting off the left hand side of the material. Please see attached JPG here. Thanks

@kathan

I have a very expensive paper weight. This after waiting WEEKS for delivery and having to reach out to Support to get it shipped.

Piss poor customer service. I don’t care how busy you (Glowforge) is. Hire additional staff. You have enough time to make videos and go live to get more customers, but you don’t have enough time to resolve your current customer’s issues with BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT. Too many people have problems with BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT. Are we sure these devices are BRAND NEW???

They certainly don’t seem like they are…

1 Like

Okay, I understand what’s going on I think. (I can fill you in if you don’t want to wait to hear back from @kathan).

When you place the material on the honeycomb tray, you want to pull the material forward so that it covers the honeycomb grid part of the tray at the front. Don’t push it back so far in the bed. Then the design will completely fall on the material.

There is an overlay on the screen that prevents you from placing the design where the head can’t reach. (In other words, the left side is blocked deliberately. It’s done that way to prevent you from wasting material.) You will still have a full 19.45" by 10.95" of cutting space, but it does not fall onto the left inch or so of the actual material.

Does that explain it? If you want to get the most use out of your material, always place your designs as if the origin for the material is at the lower right front corner of the gridded portion of the tray. Build out from there with your layout. It will leave about 3/4" of uncut material on the left side, 1/4" on the right side, and about an inch at the top. But you can flip that over and use up the uncut strips for small cuts like Honeycomb pins.

4 Likes

THANK YOU @Jules !

I will try your recommendations. However, there is still a question – why in the beginning did the app show the full bed (see very first photo I posted when someone asked for a screenshot), but now a large portion of the bed doesn’t show?

I understand unprintable areas, but I’m concerned that the camera doesn’t even show what it was previously showing.

Thank you again!!

Hang on…I need to go back and look at the original pic…might just be a zooming issue.

1 Like

Nope, not zooming…panning. Click and hold down the Spacebar and then drag on the image to shift it. (That’s with Windows. There’s a little hand icon at the top that might be how Mac users do it.)

1 Like

Oh Em Gee @Jules!!!

Hope they have you on the payroll!!!

I cannot thank you enough!!!

1 Like

:wink: Not yet, but we’re working on it.
(joke)

2 Likes

Well they need to hire you. Give you some $$$ for all of the assistance you give folks in this community…

Awwww, they can’t really. I charge too much. :smile:

4 Likes

Haha! As you should!!

1 Like

I can’t imagine how the real employees feel after getting beaten up IN ALL UPPERCASE ABOUT HOW AWFUL THE COMPANY IS for an operator error and have the thanks go to someone on the forum with no apologies for rude & insensitive behavior directed towards them.

I wonder if there’s a special help desk routing rule for some people’s subsequent problems as this isn’t all that uncommon here. :thinking:

7 Likes

You’re right and I’m ashamed. I shouldn’t have stepped in. It was incredibly insensitive of me.

See I know that @kathan and any of the support team can resolve this, and I know that the only thing keeping them from doing it is the need to deal with other problems that they get from direct emails. Problems that only they can solve.

So I shouldn’t be joking about it…I really don’t have the skillz to handle the job full time. Just an occasional assist.

Shouldn’t have joked about it. :frowning:

4 Likes

You assume incorrectly but I wouldn’t dream of suggesting a solution to your problem (it’s a very common one I’m surprised @marmak3261 or @jules didn’t mention - heck, the three of us have all personally encountered it :grin:). I was joshing @jules (we’ve been here for years and 400,000 posts together) and she responded in kind :slightly_smiling_face:

As for your other issue, I’m sure one of the Support folks will take care of pointing you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Thank you for not helping! Now I won’t have to worry about seeing replies from you. Much appreciated!