I’m having some trouble with Snapmarks but I’m pretty sure it’s because the camera is not focusing. I have tried a couple of different materials, I have cleaned the cameras on the lid and the head with Zeiss wipes, but I cannot get a snappy image from the camera so it’s hard to line anything up and Snapmarks are not recognized. Any ideas that I missed?
I just ran a quick test to make sure the functionality wasn’t broken (as I haven’t used snapmarks in a little while) - it’s working as it should. I even put my little guide out at the edge of the bed where focus appears to be the worst, and it still found them and aligned everything as it should.
I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble while trying to use the Snapmark feature. In order to look into this for you, would you please take a photo showing how the Snapmark printed on the material you’re using? Also, may I have a bit more information on the type of material you’ve been using for your recent prints?
Not sure what’s going on. I’ve loved using the Snapmarks and have used them quite a lot. I’ve made a bunch of foam board airplanes which is always fun.
I have found foam board to be a very cost effective solution to making forms for projects. The foam board comes in 20x30 inch sheets which is just wide enough to use the passthrough slot and I have been able to use the Snapmarks to align prints so large that they take up the full 20x30 sheet.
Right now I’m trying to print out a form for a logo. I have printed out all of the logo parts and pieces, now I just need the form to correctly align them all on the wall. I have tried with white foam board and brown. I would even spend money buying a Proofgrade product to make the form out of, but there isn’t a product large enough for me to do that with.
Here are two pictures: a picture showing the Snapmark on the foam board (using the same settings I have used many times) and a picture showing the Snapmarks printed running the lid camera calibration. You can clearly see that where the Snapmarks print in the upper corners, the lens is very out of focus and unable to find the marks.
I’ve tried placing them right in the middle with the same results. (In the middle vertically, not horizontally.) All though I tried that, functionally that would have been fairly unusable since I would loose half of the potential workspace.
If that’s the case I’d check the physical size of the snapmarks in the file. They have to be exactly the right size, and spacing, and if they are off by even a hair…it can mess up the read. (In other words, try re-creating the file. Sometimes they can get just a little dragged or resized while dragging, and that’s enough to mess it up.)
No, this one will keep the ticket open. It might be the lid cable has gone out…it’s a fairly common issue, but they need to look at the logs to see it. Just sit tight and wait to hear from support. They might have more tests that they want you to try.