Camper Sweet Camper

The gift-making continues…

This one is for my aunt, who recently got a small travel-trailer.

• The sign body and black elements are made of 5mm Home Depot underlayment.
  • The camper is decorated with small pieces of various hardwoods – Proofgrade Red Oak, plus wenge, padauk, bubinga, and purpleheart from Inventables.
  • In order to raise them above the 5mm border, each piece of 3mm hardwood rests on top of an equivalent piece of 2.7mm underlayment.
  • I liked the raised look, plus this also meant I didn’t need to kerf-correct anything since they wouldn’t be exactly flush anyway.
  • I did slightly adjust the outside black border to account for kerf, since that’s flush with the main body. In this case, I just reduced the inner dimensions of the black piece by 0.01 inches.
  • To make it easy to put everything in the right place, I also scored the base with all of the same elements in draft mode, giving me a “map” to work from.

I like how this turned out, and I’ll definitely use this approach again.

79 Likes

The various woods are just gorgeous in that! (I can see my wood bill skyrocketing in the future.) :grinning:

4 Likes

I too love the wood choices. Don’t be surprised if you see this mimicked.

Aside from the red oak, I don’t think I used more than 2 square inches of any other hardwood. It goes a long way.

Also, Inventables is doing a special right now, where if you spend $100 in December, they’ll send you a $100 Inventables gift card in January. So essentially, that makes materials half price, which is much more attractive for the hardwoods and specialized acrylics.

3 Likes

Yes, i took advantage of that to pick up some out-of-stock Delrin. :smile:
(Might have to use the gift card on some bits of colored wood.)

now this… THIS… is GORGEOUS. These things would sell like crazy. This is the style I like to work in as well and I just LOVE it!

This is so charming! (And the raised illustration concept may be just what I need to finish a present I’m working on, so thanks for the inspiration. :ok_hand: )

1 Like

Thanks for all the great feedback! :smiley:

I don’ t even own a camper and I want one!

2 Likes

Outstanding job! Love it

I love the hand-drawn feel to this piece. Great job!

Love it! Very nice execution.

Great design! Beautiful work.

1 Like

I love this! Really outstanding job! If I didn’t already have a Glowforge I’d want to be on your gift list. Maybe I do anyway.

1 Like

Gift reaction update:

“Oh, this is adorable, where on Earth did you find it?”

[Explain Glowforge]

“Wait… you made this?!?”

Thanks, Glowforge. :grinning:

13 Likes

EXACTLY! I don’t do anything near as fancy as what I see in this community — but people are still amazed. I love it! …and it is sooooooooooooooo much faster and classier looking than my 3D printers printing… I can’t wait for Christmas (yes I can…I lied…I haven’t started making Christmas presents yet) … but you know what I mean!

1 Like

my brother and sister-in-law would absolutely LOVE this! She does stained glass and I just admire what she makes (always beautiful) but this rates right up there … they love their happy camper. …and it would “travel” better than glass…you have such a gift…I am so glad you share your creations, it truly inspires!