Can barometric pressure affect my Glowforge?

When I first got my GF I remember reading that certain types of weather conditions could affect the GF negatively, as in humidity and such. Well I live in south Louisiana and we have hurricane Ida coming, which is supposed to be a category 3 when it hits. Its now Friday, and it should hit Sunday night. Does anyone know if I should stop using my machine right now until the storm has passed because of the barometric pressure? I don’t know if this is a silly question or not, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thanks!

1 Like

Pressure, no problem. Water and power outages, might be a big problem.

7 Likes

the ONLY thing that has had any effect on my GF has been humidity.

Jonathan

1 Like

Yes, you are right about that! Thanks!

Thank you!!

Well, keep it away from Tornadoes too, okay? :joy_cat:

Although on a serious note, if you are having some serious lightning, it would be a good idea to turn it off and maybe unplug too. A power surge from a close strike can damage electronics.

1 Like

You’re good. I’ve ran the Glowforge between sea level and 10,000’ or so and no effect on pressure.

Stay safe!

3 Likes

I’m in south Louisiana too! I’m in Thibodaux. Where are you?

1 Like

Pressure only drops very near a hurricane, at which time that is the least problem :grimacing:
|

Beg pardon? I know quite a few meteorologists and atmospheric scientists that would disagree with this assessment. :wink: Roughly speaking, the wind always blows from an area of high pressure toward an area of low pressure. Hurricanes and tornadoes are the most extreme examples, of course.

2 Likes

Yes, which is why the power of a hurricane is often measured by the low pressure at the center.

In this case the purple

When you are “in” a hurricane, or just outside is perhaps a debate but below 1000 hPa does not arrive until very near the eye and not hundreds of miles away.

Ok - I see what you were driving at now. I would have agreed with your earlier post if it had said something like “Pressure only drops below 1000 hPa very near a hurricane.”

2 Likes

There is quite a gradient but inverse logarithmic or whatever but I thought that while my sentence was not a math formula it got across the idea that if you were days or hundreds of miles from a hurricane barometric pressure issues were not very relevant.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.