Can I take my Glowforge on a plane?

I’m sure a clever owner could figure out a way to strap it in. Duct tape comes to mind…

2 Likes

I’ve “shipped” things as baggage. One thing to be aware of is if you using shipping even with the airline, they take damage seriously with the liability of the shipping contract, which is why you pay more. If you baggage it and it breaks, the airline tells you you didn’t pack it properly and wishes you a nice life effectively. Similar if they lose it.

So I’d think twice before letting it out of your hands, to normal baggage.

1 Like

Seatbelt extenders :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or bungee cords…

Aren’t there musicians who buy a seat for their instruments?

My favourite baggage rant.

6 Likes

@rhenley Haha I know what my first test engraving is going to be

@dawime Yeah I was worried about the weight too. maybe I’d have to take out some of the extras and split them up in the luggage. But the fees might still be an issue because of the dimensions.

@MikeH @erin hmmm the thing is if I get it its own seat I’m back at square one with trying to cut on cost. hehe those seats are not cheap!

Thanks You guys! I’m now looking at other shipping options… but I’m running into the problem of ‘lasers’ being a prohibited shipping item. gotta contact some people and get more info if the glowforge falls under that.

Especially because United is planning to start charging for use of the overhead bins - hope the GF is the only thing you plan to bring! :smiley:

I will have the same issue to bring it back to Chile. Now that I know that the laser head and tube are removable, maybe I could put just the body on my luggage, and the other parts in my carry on.

3 Likes

Did someone say United?

5 Likes

Good point! I just hope that taking those on as carry on won’t be an issue with the TSA

It is possible, but the warranty would not cover damage if it was harmed during shipping I’m afraid.

1 Like

I know, it’s my last option :neutral_face:

That’s good to know. Maybe doing international shipping might be the best option.
Hopefully the price will go down by the time machines are ready to be shipped out.
Thanks Dan!

1 Like

Just use the Glowforge to build your own aircraft.

2 Likes

If you do plan on checking it, I’d highly recommend investing in a pelican (or similar) case. We used to use those to take fairly large prototypes to conferences or client sites and no airline ever actually managed to damage the contents despite lots of trying. You still have to worry about size/weight limits but on many airlines the oversized fee plus the cost of the case should be substantially less than $1800. As long as you’re on an airline that permits large items to begin with.

4 Likes

I’m having the same trouble to ship it to Colombia. Let me know if you succeded. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure I will, hope the Laser gods give me their blessing :sweat_smile: