Can it cut at angles?

Straight up and down.
(Although you could create a jig to hold the material at a slight angle to create an angled cut.)

No.
(Several people are playing with adding something to do that, but the Glowforge does not have a rotary function.)

15 Likes

damn, that was close.:grin:

6 Likes

At this point and at release, only straight down.
For round objects, there is no fourth axis but there is the promise of continues focus for doing a section at a time. Mind you the Glowforge is not very deep so don’t look to engrave wine glasses or such.

5 Likes

Dang it! Beat me again! Chuckle! :wink:

2 Likes

We can only dream…

IN case you missed it for round there is this previous attempt that looks very successful:

2 Likes

I literally (read: “lit-truh-lee”) can not wait to see the different jigs people from this board invent for use with their GF as various needs arise… Can. Not. Wait.

8 Likes

That should be an on going thread. Getting jiggy with it.

10 Likes

Within the Z limitations, the hardest part about cutting at angles will be wrapping brain around sequence of cuts. (OK, maybe also lining up the ends of cuts at different angles.) If I were doing a tool for angled cuts in python/inskscape/openscad/whatever, I would want it to include a printout with instructions of which cuts to do with the piece/jig in what position.

2 Likes

And then there is the possibility of doing a chamfered edge (on acrylic at least) by running two cuts with the first being defocussed, per this Instructable. I don’t think I’ve seen this tried with the GF yet (guessing it’s not turned on in the software yet).

7 Likes

Slow poke. Ha

3 Likes

Looking at other systems I see angled cuts are becoming a real thing. Given the special automation, I can see how this would increase the difficulty of programming but even if the ability came first and the programming later, it would be a very big thing to build into the new production before mine is built :slight_smile:

We’re doing dovetails now with the engraves, but direct angled cutting would be a nice plus for V2. :grinning:

3 Likes

Don’t need to wait for V2… they can make an accessory head with two axis built in :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You bet it can cut angles! It can do anything. Shoot, I bet you could make a rocket ship and fly it to the MOON!

1 Like

Add some magnets to the bottom of a Cubiio and plonk it in place of the head. Then need the OS firmware to be able to hack in software support for it.

1 Like

No, not yet, :crying_cat_face: but it’s definitely coming :dog2: :+1: :cat2: . If you plan to engrave a lot of cups and mugs it’s probably a good idea to buy a second :glowforge: now, as the price might increase between now and whenever the multitude of rotating adapters are unleashed to the public by this amazing community. They will overcome the space limitations, hardware limitations, and software limitations in no time. Those are easy hurdles to overcome, just look at all the successful photo-engraves they’ve managed to print so far!

3 Likes

Yeah I dont think Cublio’s gonna work at all… much less actually cut through any material.

2 Likes

It’s definitely going to work, unless people put out too many negative vibrations into the universe, then it might fail and it’ll be all those people’s fault. I don’t cast aspersions on those people though*, I too was skeptical for a while, but then I saw that they were saying that they were trying and my bad thoughts were allayed.

• I only point out that their actions will cause many people to be disappointed and publically question why they hate happyness
6 Likes

I like the new you. :smiley:

3 Likes