Can not rotate bed scans + Feature Request

Problem:
After doing a bed scan of a drawn item the scan can not be rotated, only transformed.

To recreate:

1. Draw something and bed scan.
  2. Attempt to rotate the scan.
  3. The rotation handle does not appear.

Feature Request:
Enhance the software to allow artwork that has been scanned to be rotated, or, converted into a vector and then rotated.

1 Like

I believe this is because a scan is a raster image and not a vector image. Raster images currently cannot be rotated.

1 Like

Thanks Ben.
I suppose the solution is to draw, scan into Illustrator, image trace, use pen tool to fix paths, export as Vector, then import as artwork… but that sure defeats the purpose of “draw->scan->place->cut”

I understand that from a software perspective rotation of a raster is not the same calculation as rotation of a vector, but the capability sure is out there…
I think I will edit this as a feature request.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the intent of the scan function was to scan and cut or etch with minimal manipulation, not to replace a flatbed scanner.

2 Likes

Raster rotation has been in the hopper for a while.

2 Likes

If you’re scanning it, can’t you just rotate it on the bed (now that you’re aware of the raster rotation limitation)?

1 Like

This.

You can also just rotate the material to fit the scan, assuming your material is small enough.

1 Like

Exactly.

There is a scan function available for android phones which I think is different than just taking a photo. One good project would be a rack to hold the phone for doing scans. Then you get them to Inkscape and do about any thing.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve captured it and passed it on to the rest of the team.