Can someone please help me?

I can not figure out for the life of me how to get just this outline to cut out. I have watched multiple videos and tried in a couple programs (which I am also not good at and trying to learn/figure out).
When I try to cut it, it cuts every piece and I would like just to cut out the outside outline and score the finger lines.
PeaceHand

1 Like

The :glowforge: uses colour to differentiate between operations - so you’re going to need to change the internal lines to a different colour so you can score them while cutting the outside. Give me a moment and I’ll show you how to do this in Inkscape.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I feel so lost and am not catching on/figuring out Ai or ink scape as quickly as I had hoped

3 Likes

There are two options depending on how you want your final to look - I’ll indicate the differences below

Open in Inkscape.

1. Select your art and click Path > Trace Bitmap and then Apply.
  2. Now you’ll have a vector version of your hand.
  3. Select the vector and click Path > Break Apart.
  4. Everything will turn black, without unselecting go down to the colours bar and click on the red X, and then right click on black and click Set Stroke.
    Now your black will be outlined.
  5. Select everything but the outer edge and make it one colour.
  6. Select the outer edge and make it a different colour.
  7. Select everything and click Object > Group (or Control-G)
  8. You’re ready to upload to the :glowforge: and print this:

PeaceHand_edit_V1

or the cleaner but slightly harder version

1. Select your art and click Path > Trace Bitmap, select “centerline trace” and then Apply.
  2. Now you’ll have a vector version of your hand.
  3. Select the vector and click Path > Break Apart.
  4. Click on everything except the outside edge and change it to a different colour.
  5. In a few cases it may not be broken where you want it to be (so a center part is linked to the outside edge). Select the two nodes where you want it broken and then click delete segment
    image.
  6. Return to 3) and repeat as needed.
  7. Select everything and click Object > Group (or Control-G)

This is what yours looked like after the first break apart:
Peace_edit_V2
and then after manual path breaking:
Peace_edit_V3

Let me know if that helps!

10 Likes

If you’re ok with engraving the finger lines (which I think would look better than a score), and if you have Premium, you can just use the “create outline” button in the Glowforge app, and set the distance to 0.

If you don’t have Premium, but do use Cuttle.xyz, you can accomplish the same thing with a few steps: duplicate the hand, and on one copy turn off fill, turn on stroke, and add the “Merge Paths” and “Boolean Union” modifiers: https://cuttle.xyz/@masto/Hand-DqoKZBuFS2DC

Hand - Engrave and cut

10 Likes

Agreed, this is the way I would go too.

2 Likes

I tend to avoid engraving since it takes so much longer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@chris1 “Remove Holes” will do the merge and union.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.