Can you edit catalog file?

Ahh, verrrry interesting. :thinking:

Glowforge takes property rights very seriously.

Since they can see everything we do on the machines, I’d give it some thought before following Palmer’s breadcrumbs.

1 Like

I just wanna fix the friggin feather. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

ROFL! Try to overcome… :smile:

3 Likes

Then why even post it?

We don’t own the designs. We have a license to use the designs.

If you want to tear apart your own machine, or mod your own machine, or take part in doing that to someone else’s - go for it. It’s your machine. Telling people how to circumvent and download files they do not own oughta get you banned again, as far as I’m concerned.

It doesn’t actually involve circumventing anything. They are already downloaded to your machine. It is literally no different than the Glowforge logo you see at the top of the screen on this page.

Explaining to someone how their computer works is certainly not ban worthy, in my opinion.

And, while no one but Glowforge really knows the specific reason for the previous ban, it wasn’t likely because of educating users. It was most likely because he posted the actual file.

5 Likes

Just because the bank is left unlocked, per se, does that make it right to take what you want?

Probably a pretty good guess.

Seems like a nice double standard here; a lot of folks have griped about how slow GF was to release GPL-source code because if you’re using it, you should adhere to the terms of the license, right? But then, folks are awfully quick to do the opposite and “point others in a direction” assisting them in bypassing license terms.

While I assume no malicious intent for most of the folks here, I guarantee some will/are outright stealing the designs and going against the license terms. I’ve personally been asked for a file from a Glowforge user, and when declined, was told, that’s ok - “I’ll just use it anyways. What can you do about it?”

3 Likes

The bank isn’t unlocked. They posted their valuables through your letter box.

Yes the truth is too embarrassing for Glowforge, so needs to be censored.

2 Likes

They’ve actually done very little censoring, especially given that it’s a company-sponsored forum. If you don’t like it, go elsewhere. Simple.

Not at all what I was stating.

I was responding to your suggestion that people should be banned for stating simple facts - something I completely disagree with you on.

As for people violating license terms - I’m not suggesting anyone do such a thing, nor do I think it is proper to do so.

Stating my opinion that there is nothing wrong with the sharing of facts is not the same as endorsing the trashing of other’s intellectual property rights.

To the OP’s question: Can you edit a catalog file?
Yes, you can.
Should you? No.

8 Likes

Then leave it at that. That’s a simple answer to the question. When you predicate an answer with, “I’ll probably be banned for this” - it more than likely means you know you shouldn’t post what you’re fixing to post…

3 Likes

I have found it better to build one’s own from scratch, it will be slightly different and therefore yours, and not theirs.

2 Likes

I just assumed that it was meant to be edited because it said in the description that you can personalize it with your initials. But I did what geek2nurse suggested, no biggie.

Working on it. And mine won’t have an oval loop on one and a round one on the other. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You can copy paste the one you like?

But you can’t flip it. I want to be able to cut them and flip them to engrave the back. That means cutting one facing each direction. Currently the only way to do it is to manually carve out the opening without moving the material in the GF, so you can flip them into each other’s openings and engrave the back. I may or may not have bled into my GF a little, a time or two.

1 Like

Can’t you cut a square around them, flip them to engrave the back and then cut out the asymmetrical shape?

2 Likes

Ditto this. Just make sure you have the engraving flipped correctly around the vertical centerline of the rectangle.
(Did it with the carousel horses…a more un-uniform shape would be hard to come up with.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Without being able to export them from the GFUI, how would I get them exactly aligned to each other and equidistant from the centerline? It doesn’t offer any tools for either of those things.

I’ve calibrated my placement to be spot on - 1 click k of the arrows right & 2 down places things exactly where I want.

That means I can put crosshairs or other alignment marks on the masking of my material. The rulers on the top/edges of the GFUI take care of scaling generally.

1 Like