Cancer Ornament

My cousin saw some of the things I’ve been making and mentioned that she always has an ornament made for her every year for surviving. So I asked her if she wanted one and what she would like, she said to come up with something and she would love it either way since it would mean more having been made by me. So I started out with a general idea of how I wanted it to look and wound up with this as my first attempt.

I knew I wanted the name to float free of the ring but I didn’t want detail to get lost or have a wide engraving section, so I added the score line around the letters passing in the ring. I also wanted the ribbon to have a flowing look to it so I used a gradient texture and saved it separately as a png for engraving. After I cut a sample in cherry PG, more wheels started turning.

I knew the thin parts on the end would be too weak (proved they were when heavy handedly removing the masking), so I thought about beefing up the outline. I didn’t like how it looked in the design thickened so I then thought about layering. From there I started to click that if I layered I could create an interesting background, or pour epoxy, or winner win er chicken dinner find a way to make a shaker ornament with it. Back to Illustrator I go breaking apart the design to get three layers exactly perfect. The next problem was figuring out how to make the window area without making the ornament too thick and without having acrylic show on the sides.
Ah ha! Scrap thin plexiglass (acrylic nature and not PVC) from the screen door repair caused by the dog breaking back into the house :man_facepalming:. I added an interior engraved ring on the second layer to allow the plexi to sit in just level enough to glue all three layers flush. Off to the local Hobby Lobby to buy the demon’s dust aka glitter. I searched for some ultra small ribbon confetti but turned up empty handed so I settled with what they labeled Unicorn Tears and just some pink flake.

Turned out really well I believe and shakes nicely.

Ps thank you to whoever mentioned using a strand of garland and fairy lights, my photo looks amazing now! Way better than this…

38 Likes

Really love the design! (Continued good health to your sister.) :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Beautiful!

4 Likes

Very nice design for a VERY worthy cause. :grinning:

4 Likes

Such a lovely design! I’m sure it will be her favorite!

4 Likes

Great design and execution.

4 Likes

That is great! I love how you used the pink glitter.

4 Likes

Very cool design! Use of that gradient in the ribbon is great. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Very nice especially the greatient! But I would look harder at the loop at the top. By blending where it ties into the piece and avoiding sharp changes you can even make it a bit wider so a ribbon can work and it will be considerably stronger.

4 Likes

Thank you @rbtdanforth, I’ve started doing that with anything that hangs via offset hole. Once I had a few breakages on some other stuff I started making curves rather than harsh stop/start points. I take the hanging circle and use the inverse of the curve to meet up to it to make a shape similar to what you have shown.

I’m still trying to find the “perfect” loop hole size and thickness. Looks great on paper design, then I get worried that it’s too thick and thin it up just a bit.

4 Likes

Love your work with her name. Very elegant.

4 Likes

Great work and an admirable mission!

2 Likes

A bit of rounding front to back eases the look and retains the strength.

Yup my earliest were like this…

2 Likes

You are a very artistic and caring cousin.

2 Likes

Oooo, lovely job on that. And best of luck for her too!

2 Likes

This turned out Beautiful! I especially love the “Demon’s Dust” (glitter) behind as well. - I totally have to start calling it that from now on.

3 Likes