Cannot engrave

Please I am having trouble engraving the image below. Works fine to cut or score but when I click engrave then balloon part disappear and nothing engraved. Image is uploaded as an svg file

Are the balloons meant to be Scored? (Can’t check the file right now.)

I want to engrave them not score. i attached the original sagnight lamp2

I’m trying to create a night light. Bought the svg file on Etsy. I can tell the individual lines in the balloons are separated as it scores them fine - just engraving that doesn’t work and I’m guessing I need to engrave the acrylic to get the led lights to go through

Okay, just had a chance to look at it…those are single line vector paths, which means they don’t have a fill color. (Fills are engraved, single Stroked paths are scored.)

Test a Score on a small scrap of your acrylic…it should work the same as an engrave. (Trying to engrave a thin line like that takes much longer and because it is so thin, it’s not going to be as visible. It will be very shallow if you do try to engrave it, and it might not even show up.)

You can defocus the Score to make it a little shallower and wider. Just change the focal point for the Score to about 0.1 to 0.2 inch thicker than whatever you show for the material thickness, in the operation in the thumbnail. (Couple of tests on that as well and you’ll find something you like.)

Scoring is so much faster than engraving, you’ll actually finish all the testing faster than trying to engrave the original. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks a bundle, will try the above. 1 question tho, I thought I need to engrave the lines for the led night lamp so I can get this effect attached

1 Like

I think those are scored. :slightly_smiling_face:

The one I scored didn’t look like that lol hence why I thought I need to engrave it

1 Like

What exactly are you shooting for? The same color all the way up?
That’s not gonna be easy.

For that you will need to create an engrave, and it needs to have a gradient applied to it. Deeper at the top, and shallow at the bottom. That lets the light get to the top without fading.

I’d try to thicken the Stroke color on the lines, expand them, join them, set a gradient top to bottom, and then convert it into a raster image…that would let you engrave it and keep the light uniform.

(Then you use the 3D engrave option in the GF software.)

1 Like

Thanks, just wanting the lights to travel all the way through. I have given up on that image lol I will try something else and do the gradient as suggested (seen on post on this too) thx

Yeah, I haven’t tried one of the gradients yet. Seems like a lot of work.

1 Like

It’s no trouble to apply a gradient fill in Illustrator (and I would assume in other programs too). I always throw that in when I’m engraving a light. Not sure if it’s truly necessary or making much of a difference, but I figure why not.

1 Like

Yeah, I can knock it out quickly in Illustrator but not in Studio. :slightly_smiling_face:

I only have Studio no illustrator.
@Jules do you actually engrave in 3D - its showing over 2hours :roll_eyes:

Yeah, Scoring is a LOT faster. Engraves are constrained by the vertical height…lay it on it’s side to get it done faster.

Tried a diff design, no gradient as I dnt have illustrator. Didn’t do 3D (2hrs too long lol) but love the outcome

4 Likes

Turned out very nice! :grinning:

1 Like

Hello @feyiolu,

It looks like @Jules was able to get you the answers you needed. Thanks @Jules! And the nightlight turned out super cute!

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like