Cannot Print :(

I just did an 8 minute job with no issue. Went to do a ~20 second cut-- got as far as pressing the start button on my glowdforge and the fan going on for ~3 seconds until it stopped, got an orange light on the button and received this message:

Keeps happening. Tried turning it off and on-- didn’t help :frowning:

Tried a different print?

1 Like

It seems like the over-temp warning isn’t popping up for a lot of people lately. What’s the ambient temp of the room the Glowforge is in? What model you have?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. keeps saying that its offline as well

1 Like

The machine heats up in operation. All that heat hasn’t dissipated when the fans shut off. So when the fans do shut off, the GF internals are going to heat up. That almost certainly includes the ambient air sensor. So if you’re “warm-ish” when you do a print and then shut down for a short time before doing another, I could see the GF getting “too hot” while it was just sitting idle. I have a booster fan at the far end of my exhaust duct, which runs independent of the GF fans. So when a job finishes, that booster fan continues to suck air through the machine. Which may explain why I haven’t ever had this issue in spit of having done quite a few cuts shortly after finishing a cut.

1 Like

Is there any way to tell it’s actually the heat as an issue? I’m surprised it doesn’t specify that as an error?

1 Like

It does (normally) say it’s too hot. At least that’s my understanding. I’ve never seen the error (and in saying so, virtually guarantee I will the next time I do a print).

1 Like

I engraved three times and keep getting this message. Super infuriating.

I have the most basic glowforge-- I don’t know the exact temperature of the room. Although, it has been VERY warm. I want to honestly say it was like possibly in the low 80s in my room actually-- so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were temperature issues. I’m just concerned that it could be other issues, since it didn’t explicitly say that it exceeded working temperature.

1 Like

@jmikaladesigns, if you haven’t already done so (or found the solution), you should open your own thread in Problems and Support, to create a support ticket for them to look at your problem . There’s a one customer per support ticket limit, so they can keep track of things efficiently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I did that and they offered some suggestions. :grin:

1 Like

my machine never says anything about it being too hot? how do i pull my own logs for my laser so that I can see what’s going on?

I’ve never ever seen that error message and it is unfortunately NOT WORKING again.

I’m so sorry for the continued trouble, and for the delay in getting back to you. We’re looking into this now and we’ll follow up with more details soon.

Thanks for your patience. I’ve looked into the logs from your Glowforge at the time of these failed prints, and it looks like your unit is slightly too warm to start the print when you received these errors. I’m sorry that you didn’t receive a helpful error message, and I’ve let the team know about that. In the meantime, there are some steps you can take to address this issue.

First, some background: your Glowforge features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It is designed to be used when the temperature next to your Glowforge is between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius). To check, put a room thermometer next to the right-hand side of the Glowforge; it draws in air from underneath, on the right.

You can try any of these things to improve warm-weather performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge, and ensure that there is no fabric or other flexible material underneath it, like a tablecloth. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it makes cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge when you are not using it. When your Glowforge sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up

• Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. It’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it needs to pause to cool down during the print!

• Ensure that the sun isn’t shining on the lid. This could cause the inside of your Glowforge to heat up.

• If you are venting outdoors, ensure that extreme temperatures or humidity do not enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

• Turn your Glowforge off and open the lid for a few minutes before trying again. It’s possible for the air in your Glowforge to heat up, just like a car in the sun on a hot day, opening the lid will help that warm air to escape and your Glowforge to cool down.

If you are still running into trouble, please let us know the following so that we can investigate further:

1. A description of the things you tried and what happened
  2. If possible, place a thermometer next to your Glowforge on the right-hand side and measure the temperature there; if not, estimate the room temperature
  3. Take a picture of the exhaust hose behind your Glowforge that includes the part where it connects to your Glowforge, and the part where it exits the room

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.