Canstruction AIA DC 2021

Today was buildout day for AIA DC’s canstruction. Our build was the emerald city from the wizard of oz.

and, of course, i had to add some googly eyes somewhere.

Some of the other builds…

36 Likes

What’s AIA DC?

American Institute of Architects, Washington DC chapter.

and in case people have never heard of Canstruction… AIA chapters host canstruction competitions every year. They’re themed, people choose builds within those themes, and build structures with cans of food. the structures are judged and awards given (no prizes, just pride in winning).

then all the food is donated to food banks.

our build had ~2600 cans. I’m guessing there were 40,000+ cans today. and one of the awards is “people’s choice,” which is decided by people dropping can donations in the donation bins in front of each design. so even more food donated.

12 Likes

These are amazing! All made out of groceries?

5 Likes

yup, mostly cans, but a few other nonperishable foodstuffs as well.

now, there is some latitude for structural integrity. we had a few PVC pipes in the middle of those towers and some cardboard sheets that run horizontally to help keep everything from falling down.

6 Likes

These are amazing!

3 Likes

I was fortunate enough to be able to participate years ago in Orlando. It was a lot of fun!

4 Likes

What a great idea! Creative and socially conscious! Plus the designs are great! Can-tastic!

3 Likes

Those are great!

2 Likes

What a great way to raise food donations. Great job AIA!!

3 Likes

OMG the cat made out of tuna cans is outstanding

3 Likes

This looks like a wonderful event and reminds me of the Festival of Trees in SLC. Team building and donation-creating event that helps the community out!

2 Likes

there was a firm in georgetown here that used to do a christmas town of gingerbread buildings and different architecture firms would get assigned different buildings. not sure if that’s still happening, but it’s something i wanted to get our firm into. i guess i should research for next year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.