Can't believe it, considering waiting for GF2

And time, lots of time :slight_smile:

I’ve got a design for a cheese board that sits on top of a bowl that houses the cheese knives but it’s dishing out nearly 2" of wood. That takes a long time. It helps if you can use bigger end mills - 1/2"+ and specify a rough cut first followed by a final finish with a 1/4 or 1/8" end mill.

One of the things I really appreciate about lasers is not needing to make multiple tool changes in the middle of a job. I try to group the toolpaths so the same tool doesn’t need to be swapped in and out but most of my projects require at least 4 different bits. I’d love a turret but they don’t offer one for the Desktop :disappointed:

2 Likes

Time is another interesting difference (for me) between CNC and GF. Again, since the Carvey doesn’t really have a large enough bed for really big layouts, a long job for me might be 4 or 5 hours. This is longer than some of my GF jobs, but not by an order of magnitude. (and with such a small bed, most of my carving is done with 1/8" or smaller bits, and roughing with a 1/4" bit)

The time difference I find interesting is that I will find myself almost hypnotized by the CNC, spending way to much time just staring at the cut process. With the GF, I get absolutely no enjoyment watching the little light do its thing. Punch the big button and do something else (within the nearby area, of course) until the job is finished.

This has absolutely no relevance to anything useful, but felt like sharing!

4 Likes

With all of the things I get, i always run out of bed space as I think of projects.

paper/vinyl cutter has a limit of 6" wide, and to get one that did 12" shortly afterwards.
CNC had a 12"x18"x3" wanted something longer and wider for a desk project… still only have the 1st one never upgraded. 3D printers I have different ones and I tend use one of the small ones if it under a 3" square and bigger one if up 10".

I got the pro as I wanted the pass through feature even if its not 100%.

1 Like

:smile: I’m pretty much the same. I never really look at the laser anymore after I’ve confirmed it’s doing its thing correctly/in the right place. I usually do other design work or check out the forum or other online groups I’m part of. I never noticed the new GF lighting effects until I read about them here :blush:

The CNC isn’t anything more compelling but I do watch it more because I’m worried it’s going to break a mill and shoot it through the enclosure into my skull :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Or I try to figure out where it is in what it’s doing - with stacked objects and lettering and things the toolpaths can be pretty wild and trying to see what I designed emerge from the wood is kind of cool.

But they all get to be just another machine and then it’s all about how long it takes it to do what I want so I can move on to the next thing. I used to stare at the 3D printer for entire prints. I could have watched grass growing :smile:

3 Likes

HI Jules,
You might try a Carbide 3d ( http://carbide3d.com/nomad/ ) I own one (bamboo color) and it can be used in an office. It’s about the level of a conversation in noise, but you can place it on you desk and go its also fully enclosed. Only draw back is the cut area is 8x8 inches by 3 inches tall if memory serves and it will cut aluminum. The machine is just the right size for a lot of the projects I like to play with. It is in the 2.5 K range in cost but the designers built and designed the spindle from scratch. I have a lot of cncs and 3d printers but this one is practical in a lot of ways. You can check the link above. Oh, one of the guys they partnered with wrote the software for Meshcam. Unfortunately I have not been to there forum in a while because of life stuff but they do or should i say did keep up with there customers

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch! I’ll check it out! :grinning:

Shhhhh…we all know guitars, golf clubs, and ALL TOOLS are dirt Cheap! No matter WHAT YOU Say! LA La La I don’t hear you! Ha!

5 Likes

Spent last week at an oldtime stringband festival. Took 5 vintage banjos and an upright bass with full intention of selling at least 4. Came back Sunday with 6 banjos and an upright bass.

(Please, no banjo jokes. The forum has a daily post limit.)

8 Likes

1CCD3623-37C1-45DF-ADF2-5F328DB4E74F-21142-00000C97A439B04F

14 Likes

No fair!

1 Like

I have a tool changer for my CNC that is an extension to the spindle that can grab cone shaped collets. So it can pick up and put down tools placed along the edge of the workspace. I haven’t tried it yet though. It uses a pneumatic feed to open the clasp that holds the collet and a second one to blow out the collet and clear any dust from the one it is about to pick up.

HI Jules,
I almost forgot these guys. If your husband is into more of a do it yourself on CNC these guys have a few options. Very reasonable prices as well…
http://openbuildspartstore.com/machine-bundles/

3 Likes

Yes, he is…thanks! :grinning:

Stop me if you’ve heard this one… Do you know the most pleasing sound a banjo makes? … The sound it makes when it hits an accordion as it is thrown into a dumpster. Ha! (…sorry I HAD to do at least one… State Law! (Or should be!))

3 Likes

Have a full size accordion too. But haven’t played it since I was 12. (thank god)

2 Likes

I’m sure the neighbors are thankful. :grin:

2 Likes

there was; it was the substantial pre-order discount.

now being the kind of company they are (few others would give so many extras regardless of delay), chances are they might offer some first generation buyers some sort of discount, but it shouldn’t really be expected.

4 Likes

Very true. I don’t disagree with that at all.

And yet, a non-discounted glowforge is still considerably less expensive than the closest competitors… and people still press for more.

2 Likes

Swarf. I haven’t heard that word in years. At least seven years since I attended a mandatory safety class at a job site.

1 Like