Can't get past the basics Gift of Good Measure only printed right once and gives me ! message

I have to say I’m despondent and disappointed.

The ruler went great. And still prints as expected.
The little box project - also great - but I learned that those objects can get UNSTUCK. Waste.
The gift of Good Measure is where things went horribly wrong. Somehow I resized it, so the only good one I made is the wrong size - and useless. I believe I reset the Object back to default, so I’d expect it to be as it was before I logged in. The dashboard gives you ZERO metadata about the object: Create Date, Modify Date, version … and as to the “free ones” You can Delete them but not Copy them?? Why would you delete them ? Ever? I’m confused by that alone.

I have not had success since - and oh by the way - NOT having the proofgrade materials scan right? On a brand new unit? Was CRUSHING. I mean … really? Why have the bar codes at all? I’d much rather type in in some numbers than go through this crushing disappointment for something that’s TOUTED in every commercial as IDIOT Proof. Except it’s NOT.

OK - taking a deep breath …

I’ve just received for the hundredth time the message starting with ! “These are not the recommended settings … yadda yadda yadda … RESULT IN FIRE”. Ok - now I’m just terrified. Not what a new user is ready for - ya know?

I see the settings are evidently as follows
1-ENGRAVE:Speed 1000/Power Full/LPI 270/1 Pass/Focus Auto; SD Graphic
2-SCORE :Speed 300/Power 41/ /1 Pass/Focus Auto ;Draft
3-SCORE :Speed 300/Power 41/ /1 Pass/Focus Auto ;Draft
4-CUT :Speed 168/Power Full/ /1 Pass/Focus Auto ;Proofgrade Cut
5-CUT :Speed 168/Power Full/ /1 Pass/Focus Auto ;Proofgrade Cut

So can anyone tell me WHY this is happening? What’s generating the error?
This is not at all what I expected

Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing? I think it might be because you have expanded the settings by clicking on the arrow beside the engrave, cut or score settings. while this will not change the setting it makes the machine think you have manually entered your own values and then gives that warning to let you know that you have “changed” a standard setting. I think you are possibly causing the message to flag up but need more info.

1 Like

Does your sidebar look like this?

Or are there numbers like this?

1 Like

Also you can reset the design by doing this. Click on the 3 vertical dots on the top bar. select design details and then click reset design on the right side of the screen.

2 Likes

Disappointed I get, crushing seems a bit more devastating than warranted. :slight_smile:

Camera not picking up the barcode has an easy work around. If you click the “unknown” box in the upper left you can pick any of the PG materials without the need of a QR code. Personally, I find this faster since I’m often using scraps without code stickers. (And PG Medium Maple Ply has been perfect for non-PG 1/8" Baltic Birch Ply)

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble.

I see that @primal_healer and @ekla provided some great advice for manually selecting the material, and for resetting the Gift of Good Measure design. Were you able to work through these steps, and see if the same trouble occurred?

In regards to your Glowforge not detecting material, could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the wide-angle camera on the unit’s lid.

1. Take a photo of the camera.

2. Place a piece of Proofgrade material in the bed with the QR code facing up.

3. Close the lid and turn your Glowforge back on.

4. Open any design in the Glowforge app. Wait for the lid image to update in the workspace.

Send us the photo you took in step 3, along with a screenshot of what you see in the app after cleaning the camera lens. Please include the rulers, the visible QR code, and as much of the app as possible:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and search for the Snipping Tool. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file

Once we can confirm that the same behavior occurs after following your fellow community members advice, and review the images you provide, we’ll send over the next best steps.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.