Canvas Cut Out (Night Light Frame)

Wow! Thanks for trying this out! Looks very promising. For a design like that, maybe glue in a translucent piece of rice paper or something. The design in the video was made with all straight cuts and no parts that can flop around, so that’s another option.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking glue something in. I would have gone for the mylar, but rice paper works…

3 Likes

I’ve got loads of mylar…lol. My primary business is laser cut mylar stencils.:wink: May I’ll try that…

2 Likes

Thats true…that would probably work better…

1 Like

That cut like butter… :relaxed:

3 Likes

…although I’d miss all the neat stuff that you can do with a laser rather than a utility knife. Gentle curves?

2 Likes

I love this idea. Now my question is…how thick is a canvas on the frame? Will it fit in the GF with the tray in?

3 Likes

Oops, bit of thread drift about to happen… Does mylar come in transparent tints? I’m trying to find something laserable that I can us for a stained glass look, e.g. not as flat and perfect as transparent acrylic.

2 Likes

The only non custom tint I know of is blue…but thats for the heavier stock…7mil and 10 mil
For the thinner stuff like whats used for light gels, yes…comes in colors but is really thin.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K78HUI/ref=pd_aw_sim_328_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RY5GBW7PVNCSKS4ZTEDD

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is still the case, but when I was doing lighting design the filters came in mylar (really thin), polyester (middling) and acetate (thick and easy to work with but a kinda tendency to melt). (Quick search: yep, made by the same companies even. Lee was the good stuff back then, Rosco was what we used by the bucketload.)

2 Likes

This was a serious question…Beuller… anyone?

3 Likes

Sorry…missed that question…its less than 1" about 5/8" - 6/8".

4 Likes

Thank you so much! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I meant to ask, too…looks like you cut that pattern out with the canvas right side up. Is that correct? Could you put the framed canvas in upside down and laser it…which would seem to make the canvas more stable since it’s laying right down flat instead of suspended between the stretchers?

5 Likes

I dont think it would make a difference, especially if its shapes that don’t have floppy parts. Although if you paint it first, then cutting it from behind may leave flash burn marks on the good side.

5 Likes

Thanks, Stephanie. Makes sense.

1 Like

Very nice idea. Will be giving this a try. A way to make art for the not-so-artistic like me. I can handle vectors in AI, but a paint brush never does what I want it too :nerd_face:

4 Likes

How about using the Glowforge to cut small holes in a pattern to insert lights. Either tiny Christmas strings or Hobby store rice lights. I know it could be done with a drill, but the Glowforge will be so much quicker and precise.

Lots of ideas. Put your kids name in lights. Cut or stencil your city skyline or a mountainscape at the bottom with stars above. I even wonder if this process will work well on canvas for the base graphic. Transfer Photo onto Wood

9 Likes

great idea! To get a softer glow (like through windows) you could always back the canvas with a thin paper or semi-transparent plastic for the LEDs to shine through.

3 Likes