Cardboard Escalation

OK, so this may seem insane…

A friend of mine runs a brewery, and its second anniversary is this weekend. He saw the stacked cardboard 3D hand I’d posted here and asked if I could do something similar with his logo. Some thought and 25 hours of work later, there’s this.

It’s 3 feet wide and consists of 507 individual pieces cut from 4mm cardboard.

The actual logo is included for reference. I used Tinkercad (http://www.tinkercad.com) to extrude the 2D image into a 3D object, and then used Slicer (Autodesk App Store) to break the model down into pieces for cutting and assembly.

68 Likes

That’s amazing.

7 Likes

Wow! What a great project. I love the aesthetic.

5 Likes

that is fantastic!

And only 25 hours to design, cut, and assembly? Wow.

6 Likes

Holy smokes, you really pushed it to the limit! Great project.

5 Likes

Happy recipient.

28 Likes

If you make a second one, hang a basket ball rim to each one, you could have a full-court basketball court!!! :slight_smile:

That is really gorgeous!!!

5 Likes

You win the extreme patience award for this :blush:

6 Likes

Very nicely done! The fact that in the horizontal direction you have 8 pieces of cardboard for each slat just adds to the visual impact. (Although it also added to the patience required!)

And I don’t see much soot on the edges of the cardboard. Did you just dial it in or did you remove?

4 Likes

That is super cool, but for 25 hours of work I hope you don’t have to pay for a beer in quite a long while. :beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers:

10 Likes

It’s actually 4 pieces across at the widest point, but yes, patience required (the fiddly little bits at the top of the tower were the worst.)

The settings I’ve figured out (225/100) don’t leave much visible char on the front or back, but there’s soot for sure - you’re burning the crap out of a combustible material with a blast of energy, so it’s unavoidable. I didn’t take any pictures of my soot-and-glue-covered hands, but trust me, there’s soot there.

4 Likes

Been meaning to ask you, where is “4 hrs west of the Frozen Tundra”?

1 Like

Yes, he did offer up a fair amount of beer (and it’s very good beer).

6 Likes

Ha - thank you. I hadn’t thought about the resemblance.

The 3D shape could make for some interesting ricochets and bank shots!!!

2 Likes

I’d guess St. Paul Minnesota. :slight_smile:

I have lived north of St. Paul, Minneapolis MN. Always considered that the temperate zone, even in winter!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Wisconsin and when I hear “Frozen Tundra” I think Lambeau Field (where the Green Bay Packers play). So four hours west of there is St. Paul Minnesota. A bit obscure I guess.

3 Likes

Makes complete sense to me now that you explained it! Although you are getting pretty close to Vikes country where you live!!! And they have a heated indoor field.

1 Like

I did think for @caribis2 to live in Vikings country and refer to Lambeau field to be a bit odd but hey, who doesn’t love the Packers. :slight_smile: Maybe that’s why my theory might be wrong. I live an hour south of the Frozen Tundra myself.