Cardinal On A Leaf

I was so expecting an engraved actual leaf.

2 Likes

That would be interesting.

I will give it a go this weekend. BEAMER has been idle for a while :frowning: :frowning:

2 Likes

Have fun & good luck.

2 Likes

What’s strange is I know global warming and encroachment on habitat has reduced bird diversity greatly. And I know recently basically all we saw were sparrows in the yard. But now this year there are a ton of bright red cardinals in our yard, along with Biblical plague level of squirrels, chipmunks and bunnies. I have never seen so many cardinals. Not sure what has inspired the resurgence.

2 Likes

I was floating the pool the other day and I counted no less than 10 hawks circling around. we have lived in the house for almost three years and I have YET to see a hawk take out a bird. I would think the time I spend outside would have meant I would have seen it happen at least once.

we have always had Cardinals(in ky ) a few blue jays. had a few crows the other day in the neighbor’s tree damn those suckers are noisy.

2 Likes

Hawks generally don’t hunt birds. The largest ones are known to, but it’s much easier for them to take ground-based prey. and it’s all about conserving energy.

Very unusual to see several together, however. They are solitary, or pair mates.

1 Like

we have Periguine falcons down town. and I have seem them take birds.

the ones by my house really don’t get close enough for me to verify exactly what they are. probably need to dig out my bird book and the binnoculars

but holy smokes they are filling the skies some days, kinda Hitchcocky I gotta say.

1 Like

Yip… Falcons do, some dine pretty much exclusively on other birds. That’s primarily why they are so swift and agile. Beautiful creatures!

1 Like

I can always tell when a hawk is in my neighborhood because the crows get so agitated and start cawing loudly. When I hear them cawing I go outside & look up & the crows are dive bombing the hawk.

1 Like

We have a lot of them here, too. Someone once told me that when you see a cardinal it’s the spirit of a deceased loved one visiting you (Native American lore, maybe?). I’m not really a superstitious sort, but my first thought when I read your comment was that a whole lot of people have been dying this year. :frowning:

2 Likes

We have a red tail who has lived behind our house for years. You’ll hear his screech intermittently and see him soar. There’s an owl out there too.

1 Like