Carriage bearing froze up

I’m looking to get a part number and price for the V-groove bearings on the carriage assembly. One of the front bearings locked up on me 42 minutes into a 48 minute engrave today. First problem I have had with my GF in the 2.5 years that I have been using it. I was able to free up the bearing and lubed it and got the machine back up and running but it still doesn’t turn as freely as I would like it. I was able to salvage my print by covering up the area already engraved with about 8 layers of masking and with the help of snapmarks the piece came out perfect.

GF carriage bearing

5 Likes

AFAIK right now everything is custom, but support should be able to help you out with a part for sale

Support can sell you the entire plate but so far has not sold individual rollers/bearings. They are common parts if you wanted to source them yourself, but nobody has provided a part number and source.

1 Like

I’d be curious if there’s a lube they recommend using prior to it seizing! I’d be happy to put a drop on every once in a while to stop that from ever happening…

The bearings in those rollers are typically sealed, and additional lubrication can draw more debris into the enclosure and accelerate wear.

I’m not going to pull mine apart to investigate but I’d love to dissect a broken one to see what the are using and try to figure out why they might fail.

1 Like

I’ve done the same with aluminum foil – only one layer required. :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that you were able to keep your Glowforge up and running.

Unfortunately, it looks like getting a new carriage plate would be your best option.

I want you to have a functional unit, so I’m going to close this thread and I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details.