Carriage jumping tracks on startup - New Glowforge PRO

been using my new Glowforge Pro for several days without issue. Today, I started a print that had been successful yesterday. Within 2 minutes of the print, the button turned orange and the interface noted an error and suggested that I reload my browser and restart the Glowforge. On restart, the carriage began to move and then chatter. I cycled the glowforge again and the carriage started moving but the left side stopped moving and the right side continued until the carriage came off the tracks. I have checked to ensure that the red wire is not catching on the heat fins, that the lid camera is clean, that there are no obstructions on the tracks, and have removed all material from the glowforge. The carriage continues to jump off the tracks at every startup.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks, P.

If the left side stopped moving, there is likely a physical problem with something on the left side track.

That can be debris on the belt or track, a broken wheel on that side of the gantry, or something catching on the wheel. Get a flashlight and look into everything on that side really closely. You might need to turn the machine off, and gently pull the laser arm forward by hand to see if you can feel something catch. (Remember to move the head and arm back to the home position before turning it back on though.)

Oh, and it will also happen if your material is extended over the plastic at the sides of the tray, so make sure the material is only over the metal grid part. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Jules,
Thanks for sthe suggestions. I cannot see any obstructions and the carriage moves very smoothly when the Glowforge is turned off. At this point, the only thing that is in the unit is the crumb tray. I Even tried to start it without the crumb tray with the same result. It seems like there is a communication issue with the stepper motors ie the right and left are working together.

1 Like

Best to let the Support team take a look at the logs then. Just sit tight until they see your post.

2 Likes

OK. Thanks for your thoughts and quick response. Do I need to initiate somehow with the Support team? After waiting for a month for the Glowforge, I cant afford to waste any time as I have a backlog of work.
Thanks again

Already done. (Starting a New Thread here opens a ticket for you.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

by posting in this section you have gotten the ball rolling, or the head moving so to speak.

3 Likes

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.