Carriage plate belt

so my carriage belt seems very loose and I’ve tightened the tension as much as i can .
having some issues with my engraves looking fuzzy and would like to replace the belt but i don’t see on the glowforge site a place to purchase it . so my questioned is , where can i purchase a the belt from ? thank you in advance for your help .

Belts aren’t available OTC yet, but by posting here you’ve let them know that you’d like one. They’ll close this post and contact you via email since you’ll be discussing personal address info etc. If your machine is still under warranty it’ll likely be covered, but if not they’ll send you an invoice. It will take a week or so between waiting for their response, and then waiting for the invoice to be generated, to getting it in the mail, so prep yourself for that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can shorten the carriage plate belt where it attaches to the carriage plate.

1 Like

Replacing the belt would be the exact same process as shortening the one you already have, so it’s worth a shot.

3 Likes

Belts should not stretch. They are fiberglass or Kevlar reinforced and should last many years without an identifiable increase in length. If yours has stretched, you have damage somewhere. If it is loose, you may have a pulley that isn’t tight.

My Glowforge is more than two years old and has no stretch in its belts. You should look for something else that is causing the issue.

1 Like

You can check Etsy if you need it quickly , I found a belt and and ribbon cable.

1 Like

Message me directly, provide your email address so I can send you an invoice via PayPal, I sell replacement belts for Glowforge at a cost of $15.00 each, plus shipping ($8.50 USPS Priority Mail service. I have plenty of both size belts available for immediate shipping.

1 Like

my pully is as tight as it can get and belt is still loose . but i will look at other areas to see if there is any other damage thank you for your help

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble!

To better understand, would you send me the following photos:

1. The belt under your laser arm with the head pushed to the left:

2. The pulley under the laser arm on the right side from the front:

3. The right side pulley under the laser arm from underneath:

This will help us determine whether or not you need replacement parts.​

Attachments

so I decided to take your suggestion and shorten the belt . i only cut about a half inch off which is about the size that fits in the clamping area . and it worked great . i was very hesitant but since i wasn’t cutting that much off i felt i had nothing to lose at this point . and it worked perfectly ty very much for your response and giving me the idea to try this , it was such a simple fix .

1 Like

so I was able to shorten the belt and it took care of the problem . thank you for getting back to me .

Hi @craftychickv. Thank you for following up to let us know. I’ll close this since it appears to be resolved. Feel free to create a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge.com, if you run into any further trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help.