Carson City, Nevada?

Not necessarily a serious problem, but I’m just curious - has anyone else noticed that messages they are posting seem to be coming from unusual places? I live close enough to Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey and work in New York City, but every once in a while I appear to be in Carson City…? I’ve never even BEEN to Carson City. Right now I’m in midtown manhattan, but the forum seems to think that I’m in Millwood, New York (about 50 miles north of NYC - never been THERE, either…)

Where do you even see that?

1 Like

Go to profile, then preferences, and under where your username, profile picture and email address(es) and title are listed, it shows your recently used devices…

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.52.30 PM

I had logged everything out, so the Carson City stuff isn’t showing right now, but that’s my iPhone and it’s 3 inches from the Mac I’m on - which is NOT upstate in Millwood…

1 Like

I just logged in from my iPhone WITHOUT WiFi and I’m back in Carson City… Weird. For SOME reason AT&T cellular data in the metro NY area is showing up as Carson City…

Well, at least I know it’s ME and not a western clone…

2 Likes

I know when I use my iPhone and I’m not on my WiFi net, some sites will always say I am somewhere else. For example, Craigslist always says I’m in California, Home Depot too.

Websites like this don’t have access to any location services on your phone. The way they’re locating you is through the IP address you’re connecting from, and that’s not an exact science. Companies sell IP-to-location databases which say “this range of IPs is usually allocated to this region”, that’s as specific as it gets. IP allocations are constantly changing, so the databases are constantly behind and never claim more than 90-something-percent accuracy. They’re typically more accurate for cable/fiber IPs than ones allocated to cell phone towers. Discourse, the software that runs this forum, uses MaxMind’s IP-to-location products last I checked.

7 Likes

My first thought is that someone might have hacked your system. Like so much else. Not a huge problem in running your Glowforge, but ordering stuff could be,

That’s why I asked in the first place. The site said “If this isn’t you, change your password” but then I realized that I’m logged in and there’s only one device active, it HAS to be me. Just in the wrong place.

That’s when I logged out all devices, logged back in and found out that I was in three different places.

Like I said, not a big deal, just had me wondering.

Is Carson City nice? Once tis is all over I intend to travel - might be a good place to go…

2 Likes

Time traveller?

If I could travel in time, what the hell am I still doing in 2020/2021?

8 Likes

It would be the future you since you are in both NYC and Carson City and don’t yet remember being there. Why you would go back to 2020 I have no idea :smirk:

1 Like

You’re the one who’s been trying to warn us by inserting the phrase “hindsight is 2020” into our languages…sadly we all misunderstood!

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have been very annoyed that such good metaphors got ruined.

1 Like

Please don’t ask about the expression “roaring 20’s” that’s been misattributed to the last century…

2 Likes

Ha! Just checked mine, and apparently I’m also in Carson City. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Geez, if we’re in the same town, we should figure out a way to (socially distant) meet up!

3 Likes

Now hindsight will be the new “anal rectitus”

3 Likes

I cannot click :heart: on that.

3 Likes

Masochism?

Machoism perhaps.