Case made by laser

In the multipart “how to make a case” on Make, he finally tried laser cutting, which is a nice writeup of the plusses and minuses (as I always tell people in my making classes, use the right tool, just because you have a 3D printer doesn’t mean that’s the right solution)

http://makezine.com/2017/03/01/laser-cutting-enclosure-compare-3d-printing-milling/

23 Likes

Thanks for this! I can tell it’s going to be a great read. Can’t wait to read it after work!

3 Likes

I wish more instructors subscribed to this train of thought!

4 Likes

Only paralleled by “the tool you have is more often better than no tool.”

8 Likes

This was a great article. It really highlighted the need to know how to use all the technologies available to you in the right role for creating something. Trying to use a single technology is doable, but painful. Each have their strengths. I would love to see him make this using CNC, 3d printer, and laser.

The most standout paragraph in the article to me, and most relevant to my wants with the GF is this:

This is something Im definitely going to need, and have needed in a number of situations already.

12 Likes

Yeah the preceding article really highlights the other technologies and their strengths and weaknesses. It’s too bad it wasn’t one single article, but at least a 2-parter is good. The obvious answer is different technologies for different parts of the case based on the 2 articles… And this is something people need to do on every design

3 Likes

A year and a half ago I would not have understood most of this article. As it stands it is a great write up. Would even be better with more illustrations of what he is talking about in the various parts and steps.

5 Likes