Ceiling light for little stars

With the arrival of twin boys, our house has been turned upside down to say the least, but nothing will stop Mama being a massive nerd :smile: When we found a star-shaped lightbulb while shopping for nusery decoration ideas, I just knew I had to do something Mario related with it, to go in my Super Twin Bros’ bedroom…

I started with a basic box design from Makercase (awesomest site EVER!) and added some details. After ruining a couple of sheets of new birch plywood by not doing a small test cut first, not just once but twice, I finally managed to acheive this…

Top side with hole for the wires and 4 screws.

Bottom side with hole for the light socket and decorative stars.

It turned out ok so I gave it a base coat of white spray paint and a top coat of gold spray paint. I added a sheet of white paper to the inside of each vertical side and then installed it in their room…

Top section screwed into the ceiling.

Final product in place…

… and lit up!

I think I’ll make a couple of adjustments still, as the top section seems to have warped a little when screwed in, probably due to blobs of plaster around the edge of the hole in the ceiling so I may cut a few round spacers to allow it to lay flat.

39 Likes

The twins will always have a star to wish on.

4 Likes

Awwww, what a cute project. You nailed it,

2 Likes

Incredible! I love the star shaped bulb too…what a find! :grinning:

2 Likes

Fun light fixture! Plus … It’s the only one in the world!

1 Like

No the sides are glued on and the top is screwed into the ceiling :sunglasses: :smiley:

I KNOW! I couldn’t resist it when I saw it, it even has the little vertical eyes like the Mario stars! There were heart ones too but there’s only so much cute one room can take :smiley: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Actually just out of curiosity I had a peek on amazon and found this one that’s quite similar but doesn’t have quite the same filaments…

https://www.amazon.com/mirrea-Star-Shape-Vintage-Edison/dp/B01H6YAPA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530038001&sr=8-2&keywords=star+light+bulb

2 Likes